Minimum acreage to "manage deer"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by shell waster, Sep 12, 2020.

1. shell waster

shell waster

Read you need at least 300 acres to per say "let him grow so he will grow". I kinda disagree, depends on woods imo, high and dry hardwoods, sure....thick nasty swamp probably less, a lot less...don't forget the food plot factors...what do you think would be the minimum acreage to attempt some version of qdm. Bash away at me all you want of horn hunting...I don't care

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I disagree also. I would guess 2-3 times that amount of acreage. Everything would depend on location too. If you hunt a migratory herd your efforts can go to zero if the deer leave anytime during the season. Tribal regulations are also a factor. Rifle season on bucks opens in less than 3 weeks.

TriggerDiscipline and Sparky23 like this.

3. Dish7

Dish7

Any size acreage can be improved. Get the neighbors on board if you can. If not make your little piece the best low pressured habitat in the area and the results might surprise you. Keep your goals realistic. I know a ten acre parcel (not mine) that anyone on this forum would absolutely drool over if they walked it once, and it is not in a great qdm neighborhood. JMO.

4. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Serious question...... How tall of a fence are you putting up around it?

Serious comment..... You can only control what is on your property at the time you are there weapon in hand. You can let them go, and if that deer is lucky, it will grow. Not sure if any of the neighbors feel the same way, or even if they should. Shy of that, there's always pushing MAPR's for miles around you with the hopes that no one will thumb their nose at the regs and start poaching.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  5. Dish7

Dish7

Didn't take long for the first troll post, lol. :lol:

Piranha man, sniper and Ieatshrooms like this.
  6. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

Would take thousands of acres to truly manage a deer herd. But to make a positive impact in terms of providing habitat, security cover, food, etc. doesn't require much acreage at all.

7. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

Guess it depends on your perception of what qdm actually means. I'm doing just fine with less than 5 acres. Every little bite or piece of cover I can provide helps. I consider it quality management of my little piece of property.

Sparky23, perchjerker, sniper and 5 others like this.
  8. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Depends on what you perceive "management" to be.

I manage the deer on my homestead to reduce car deer collisions, crop damage, shrub and garden damage, and to make venison products from.

If the question is, "How much ground do I need to generate a chance at a book animal every year?" , it's considerably more.

Deer move around naturally.
    You are working to alter that.

9. Waif

Waif

You don't need to own any acreage to say let em go.

So the minimum to encourage Q.D.M. on a property , is what ever you have to work with.
    A fifteen mile radius with a deer fence would allow some serious management , IF we could keep track and have access to each deer on it. Thus the benefit of hunter co-ops as an alternative...With the same question you pose of , how much land needs to be involved?
    To which I'll say , any amount.

Q.D.M. is (in it's origins and greater theory) much more than passing young bucks.
    Passing bucks alone , yet having crap habitat ,underweight deer, too many deer for habitat,
    ect. is not Q.D.M..

I'm no example of Q.D.M. goals or potential ,or of great habitat and deer management.
    Small in scope though in regards to amount of property ,and what is around me (including hunter goals and kill choices) really affects my property.

But.....Most years see a resident doe with her fawn or fawns. And should the fawn(s) survive they'll often be joined by last years surviving young.
    Those are deer I manage.
    Of course other deer pass through. Others visit regular. And when hunting pressure increases more are around evenings till dark and easing out farther to other/better feeding and socializing sites. Then returning for security cover before humans get stirring in the morning too much.

I hunt a couple acres mostly. And the right couple can not only offer decent hunts. It can affect the local deer herd positively in the off season. There's four times that little acreage I manage , but the browsing nucleus is only 10-20 percent. Much more is cover.

Should neighbors pass yearling bucks (and some do) or any sex or age type deer, then my kill choices will affect them as much as theirs will mine.
    In my case , that means I can usually expect that taking a doe won't mean taking one of the last. We manage by our kill choices. And with choices/kills often mixed , it takes conscious study to decide what deer can best be taken out...

The off season that is an important side of managing deer habitat.
    It's not sorting through deer for kill choices/removals.
    It's enhancing habitat for deer and other critters , vs seeing land evolve into thin gravy and little shelter/cover.

When you can show me a habitat enthusiast who can detail the habitat , and type critters using it when ,and why ...Then give you a estimate of deer using it when , and why deer removed prior were chosen for the herd and environments sake..
    Combined with what changed since the habitat workers involvement , what they kill as far as antlers becomes secondary to the value of the managed land. At least to it's furred and feathered residents future generations potential.

An oasis can be small. It may not host abundance in numbers. When it's residents are healthy it's still a benefit. As it can be for seasonal visitors briefly.
    If residents are not as healthy in potential (and that's not only how they look) , and you can improve it , you might be considered affecting quality.
    Then expand outward from there.

10. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

There is no way you are going to "manage" a deer herd on only 300 acres - their typical home range is much larger than that and you can not control what other landowners do outside of your property.

As others have mentioned, QDM is much more than just passing on young bucks, and you can implement habitat improvement projects that do have a positive impact on boosting the Quality of the deer herd. That you do have some control over no matter how small the property is. Getting bucks to maturity on a small property is a horse of a different color IMO. There are too many variables that enter into that picture.

Examples here include a camp next door to us that prior to MAPR's would shoot every legal yearling buck they saw from October 1 to January 1 even if they had to use tags from girl friends, mothers or grandmothers. A neighboring farm that kills bucks, does and fawns all summer long on Crop Damage Permits - yes, I know that bucks aren't legal on those permits but it doesn't matter to them. Just these 2 landowners had a major impact on the buck age structure in our area even though many of us had been practicing Voluntary APR's for many years.

Our DMU went to mandatory APR's in 2001 and we enjoyed them until last year. Prior to MAPR's we killed only one 3 year old buck. We have killed 25 bucks from 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 years of age since going to MAPR's. If "all" of your neighbors are on the same page with you, you may have some success with a voluntary "Let Em go so they can grow" practice. If you have azzhole neighbors and violators around you, you are going to need a lot more than 300 acres.

Sparky23, up520, Piranha man and 5 others like this.
  11. Woodstock

Woodstock

Does shooting young male deer make someone an azzhole?

12. Dish7

Dish7

Reread his post before you try the gotcha. When it's illegal, absolutely.

13. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Not unless you keep shooting them after you have used your legal limit of tags. Hope you don't fit into that category too.

snortwheeze, Sparky23, sniper and 2 others like this.
  14. Woodstock

Woodstock

{quote}If you have azzhole neighbors and violators around you, {quote}

The way that is worded, they are not the same people. There's the neighbors and then there's the violators. I was curious what makes neighbors a holes?

mbrewer likes this.
  15. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I never really thought about "trying to make your property an oasis". In that regard, it would almost make more sense to NOT push for any legislation that aligns with your preferred method of hunting. Theoretically, you would have all the pigs living on your property. All you gotta do it figure out how to get in and kill them.

With that said, if you have a bunch of adjacent land owners on the same page, that would make a lot of sense. But, you'll probably need more than 300 acres, as others have said.

Wild Thing likes this.