MiHunt and GPS

Discussion in 'GPS, GeoCaching, Outdoor Communications, Electroni' started by ltcnav, Dec 6, 2016.

1. ltcnav

ltcnav

Anyone using the MiHunt app on the DNR website? Here is my problem, the Lat/Long coordinates that I derive from the Mihunt app do not agree with the coordinates on my Garmin 62s. Example, looking at the coord of my home on the Mihunt map, and comparing to the coord on my handheld Garmin 62, they are different by over 20 miles, so not talking about simple gps accuracy. Must have to do with the data map I am using, but have tried all the variations I can think of, no help.
    Thanks

2. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

3. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

Are the Lat/Long coordinates the same format? I know I once received some coordinates and entered them into my gps not knowing they were the wrong format. I can't remember how far off they were though, I found a converter on the internet and then I was good.

4. ltcnav

ltcnav

Update. Compared my gps lat/long with the lat/long on Google Earth and all was good! So, whatever reference MI Hunt uses doesn't compute with Google Earth or Garmin GPS.

5. ltcnav

ltcnav

Think I figured it out. MiHunt give the lat/long coordinates in decimal points. Google(and my Garmin) give it in degrees/minutes/seconds. Will have to see if Garmin will set to decimal places to sync with Mi Hunt, or just use google earth.

6. hitechman

hitechman Michimaniac

Your Garmin can be set to display coords in that format as well.

Steve

7. ltcnav

ltcnav

Thanks, just powered up my GPS, and you are correct. I have 160 acres, and two forties are bounded by a CR, with a survey mushroom at one corner, so I can easily mark my borders using the gps and mihunt info, and checked by using the measurement tool on mihunt.