mid river sunday

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by wingster51, Jun 15, 2020.

1. wingster51

wingster51

My son and I got out about 8am. Made the mud island drift that takes you toward wyandotte along the shore of mud. Went to Grassy and got two . The wind started to pick up so we headed for the east side of Grosse Isle. The wind got so strong that we were going 3mph in some spots with just the wind moving us down the river. Drifted from the golf course to the pay bridge. Ended up with 7 nice fish. Hooked something by Grassy that took us for a ride. I could get it in to about 10 feet (line counter reel) and it would rip off 40 ft of line with no problem. I started getting tired of fighting so i tightened up the drag and it pulled off the hook. Pretty sure it was a sturgeon. We used single hook spinners with plastic and a piece of crawler for smell. Green and yellow blades got the most action. 30 to 35 fow at 2.1 to 2.5 mph on the gps. We also saw a couple of really big dead muskies and smallmouth floating. Good luck and stay safe

2. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

Must be “catch & release” tournament season on LSC.

ezcaller likes this.

3. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

We were out there too and caught a big fish that acted very similar. Ended up being this guy. Got back to the dock and have heard several reports of them being caught lately.

7ADB322A-C088-49EB-AA49-4700C50045F6.jpeg

4. 50incher

50incher

Hi wingster, you were in the TC ?....we talked about trying that Sat....we hit the E. side of GI Sat....basically right in the shipping channel, lol....& did the same in a couple hours, cleaned 6 all on copper & black, only other fish were 2 SB....

We'd go to the Ont. side of channel & let the wind blow us across, lol, then zig back toward it....Sun. wind was stupid worse for E. and I took a day off !....

PS.... ANY Perch yet ?!!....that's out target next weekend !!….cheers....

sureshot006 likes this.
  5. 48180 Hunter

48180 Hunter

We picked up 12 on Ballards Yesterday. Got 7 on Harnesses Silver Blade 3 Red Beads. Got the other 5 Jigging with Brown Worm & Vampire FinS. Also hooked into something that was fighting real hard. Felt like A Big Cat have caught A few smaller ones around 4-5# the last few Weeks & seen some Bigger caught..

6. wingster51

wingster51

It could have been a cat. I have caught a few big flatheads in the saginaw. To be clear we caught most of our fish on the west side of grosse isle trying to get out of the wind

7. Slimshady

Slimshady

Could be. Or it could just be accidental catches on the river trolling harnesses. Smallies are notorious for swallowing the bottom hook on the harness. Plus Muskies are in season now, so that could be anywhere.

DirtySteve likes this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Always see dead musky here and there this time of year. Seem to always be the large ones. I'm sure some die of natural causes or disease, some die of poor handling or fights on walleye gear, and some are intentionally killed out of ignorance.

sparky18181 likes this.
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

You cant have tournaments on st clair right now unless they are weigh and immediately release. Tournament season starts this weekend. Kinda funny whenever someone sees a dead fish they assume it has to be a tournament. Tournamnets are typically artificial baits. Live bait fisherman kill the majority of the fish that are returned to the water.

I will remember this thread mid summer when people are blaming bass guys for dead fish in the lake.

sureshot006 likes this.