Mid day bucks

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bmoffit, Oct 29, 2020.

1. bmoffit

bmoffit

After reading through the “all day sit” thread it had me thinking and wanted to here from the rest of you

I’m looking for bow Buck kills between 10-2 from Halloween to 11-14 Those of you that have scored in this time frame could you provide a little detail? Weather, Date, location, IE bedding area oak ridge etc and circumstance buck chasing, cruising etc. thanks for the input.

LabtechLewis and sniper like this.
  2. Tommy O

Tommy O

My buddy shot this one on November 10th on top of a little oak flat near a swampy pond from a spot we called "the encroachment stand" Brian Buck.JPG

3. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

10-2 is a different experience pre-time change as compared to post.

I think the most helpful way to look at a day is to split the 11 hours of daylight into 3 sections - 1st 4 hours of daylight, middle 3 hours, final 4 hours. There's never a bad time to be in the woods during early November but if I had to make a choice I'd always go with the first 4 hours of the day, with 2nd choice being the final 4 hours, and last choice being the middle 3 hours.

Also, keep in mind hunting changes a lot from Nov. 1st to 10th because way more bucks are locked down with does on Nov. 10th than Nov. 1st.

4. carnivor

carnivor

All depends on the moon phase. I hunt mid day during full moon. I don’t see many but the few I do see are bucks. If your running cameras, I’m sure your seeing mid day movement this week.

GrandGuru, bilili_3 and Sparky23 like this.
  5. 131north

131north

The buck I saw cruising at 10:30 this morning was walking a ridge, but not the top of the ridge, just below it. Nose into the wind, eyes looking downhill. Wind was blowing parallel with the ridge. Stopping to smell intersecting doe trails. Damn thing stopped and stood surveying the hillside with its body behind large trees like you or I would for cover. It's a thrill to see a big buck in the middle of the morning.

6. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

First and second pictures was shot on November 7th last year. Mid 30s temperatures, nnw winds, sitting just south of a bedding area and he came cruising through at 1230. Hadn't seen a deer for a couple hours at that point.

3rd picture was November 7th five years ago. Mid 40s temperatures, sw winds. Farmer was cutting a large field of corn and I slipped in to a small wood lot at 800. Farmer quit cutting corn at 1100 stopping approximately 300 yards away from the woods. This buck was probably bumped by the combine and slipped into the woods at 1200. I shot him around 15 minutes later when he came to check out a doe fawn that had been hanging out near me all morning.

After you have had success doing it it's a lot easier to sit all day. Screenshot_20201029-145632_Gallery.jpeg Screenshot_20201029-145636_Gallery.jpeg Screenshot_20201029-145727_Gallery.jpeg

7. bmoffit

bmoffit

thank you!!

8. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Decent buck on the cell cam at 2:15 yesterday.

KingHingeCut, Sam22 and bmoffit like this.
  9. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

I have shot a couple more that are on my wall during planned all day sits but not in the time frame you mentioned. Some in the morning and some in the evening.

Considering how few times I do it every year my success rate is astronomical compared to hunting mornings and evenings. Of course I am only doing it during prime time.

I did it last Saturday (earliest ever) and am considering this Saturday. I am on vacation the 4th through the 10th, it's game on during that time frame.

If I had to pick 1 day to hunt every year it would be November 7th.

10. bmoffit

bmoffit

i have done all day sits in the past however it has been awhile and other than in Illinois mid day action was kind of poor for me. I’m off the 5th thru 15th and will plan some long sits.. i just wanted to gauge others successes within that time frame. Good luck

sniper likes this.
  11. Shawnxbow

Shawnxbow

I generally start seeing deer around 8:30-10 and from 3- to dark so sometimes when I wake up late I don’t fell bad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Tilden Hunter likes this.
  12. On Target

On Target

In my opinion, with the new time change, you have to at least stay in your stand until 11. I can think of at least 4 times that I've had a dandy show up at about exactly 10 without seeing another deer the entire morning before that. Those memories will always make me stay no matter how slow it seems.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. mofo

mofo

I hunt all day from now till the November 17 I shoot all my bucks from 11-430 time frame I keep a log of years past.

QDMAMAN and Tilden Hunter like this.
  14. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

I do a few all day sits every year, I always sit all day the first day of gun season, but considering I haven’t shot a deer in 8 years with a gun I do it more because I always do it more then anything.
    With archery I have never shot one during the middle of the day but have seen a hand full of good bucks between the hours of 11-2.
    I hunt north of our sanctuary about 80 yards catching bucks heading into the doe bedding and need any westerly wind to do so. That won’t happen until This Monday and I will be there all day. I shot this buck on November 10th last year on a all day sit that only lasted until 9:40.
    Flight
    9125D3D4-68A1-4232-B0F3-D96437F5550F.jpeg

15. Dish7

Dish7

Nov 10th has been good to me a few times. This one from Nov 10th, 2013. Technically doesn't qualify as a mid day kill as I finally got him at 4:15pm. But I first spotted him entering my woods following a doe at approximately 10:10 am. We spent the next 6 hours together as I watched every perceivable rut behavior play out. Came to full draw twice over that six hours as he chased buck after buck away from his doe. His downfall came when he actually left his doe to breed another doe that had been chased into my hingecut by a 2.5 year old buck. I witnessed him breed that doe twice and then saunter back to look for his doe, who had moved. When he didn't see her, I saw my opportunity and grunted twice. Came on a string to 8 yards.
    10 hr 10.png