Michigan state university Lake Michigan salmon research

Discussion in 'Cold Water Species Fishing' started by salmon_slayer06, Apr 5, 2018.

1. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Open your damn wallet and take 5 minutes and give 10 bucks. Michigan steelheaders donated a bunch, some other names I recognized on there too.

2. JDS1242

JDS1242

3. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

What if the data gathered turns around and bites us in the ass? I faithfully reported my brown catches each spring to the Salmon Ambassadors; now there's no brown trout plants south of Pentwater going forward due to "lack of results / lack of interest". Interesting as there were 5 rigs parked in Saugatuck on Good Friday and over 50 rods being fished between both piers. I've trolled the beach four times this spring already and there's been other boats out every time.

Kind of nice now to not have a freezer full of CWT heads to turn in, and not having to measure, weigh, and determine gender of each fish before I clean them.

Scout 2 and Fishndude like this.
  4. Sparky23

Sparky23

Shocking as it may be i totally agree with you fbd. Idiotic to cut the brown plants where the masses fish and move them to less fished waters. At least theres still a bunch around for now at least.

Scout 2 and Far Beyond Driven like this.
  5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

They say they don't stray much - that they are homebodies, but every year we get a couple with fin or jaw clips and Michigan doesn't do that as far as I know.

This is from 2010 but the top fish and second from bottom both have pectoral clips. No, Meow Man (bless his furry soul) didn't chew them off, he ate the gill plates and tails. Strange cat.

I don't hope the brown fishing crashes down here but I expect it will get tougher in the next few years. Not sure about you but about 80-90% of my catch is the previous year's plant (see picture below) so next year will be telling.

Seeing as I have no clue how the DNR decided browns down here cost $259 each to catch as I've never seen a creel census person or CO at a launch or pier until summer. I hope the masses make noise there after and at least some ports get their fish back.

4-24-10 004.jpg

Highball28 likes this.
  6. slightofhand

slightofhand

I would give $1000 when they start the study of Cisco stomach contents. Those little bastards are hammering smelt and alewife and the Michigan Steelheaders and the Michigan Charter boat association largely support re introducing them to our unstable ecosystem. Talk about assbackwards.

Sparky23 likes this.