close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Michigan State Study

Discussion in 'Gear Restrictions and Trout Fishing Regs' started by Ranger Ray, Mar 24, 2018.

1. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

This thread started with the news of the results of a big study/poll of Trout Fishermen, one I had never heard of. That was published in February as DNR Fisheries Report #29.

Today comes news of DNR Fisheries Report #30 - "Management Plan for Inland Trout in Michigan." I received a copy in my email today. 87 more pages I look forward to reading, but don't know when. I would hook you up with a link to it, but the only one I can find is a draft version. There has even been some press on it around Michigan already (DNR press release I would think), but those articles also have a poor link back to a page for Fisheries without a link to the final, published version. Probably this will be fixed tomorrow I think. Might well could be worth it's own thread when it happens.

2. toto

toto

Ok so bait fisherpeople should go out and buy fly fishing equipment, when they don't want to, not because of cost.The reason they should? Because those that have all the power, and much better financial resources said we should, not because the fish are in jeopardy, it's just that we (the elite) look in the mirror and swear to God they look more like Brad Pitt everyday, sounds like a good reason to fly fish to me. BTW, sarcasm alert.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

3. Sparky23

Sparky23

It isnt the can i biy amd learn ot why does a small group get what they want with money and power...that continues to try to expand with no research backing it. And yes u can get a spinning combo for less tham a fly combo

4. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I think many readers here are familiar with the now considered a classic, Bob Clouser's Deep Minnow fly. Which, many have fished in flies-only regulated streams and rivers like the PM or elsewhere. Here is an example:
    [​IMG]
    It has been argued in the past that this illustrious fish catcher should be classified as a Jig, not a fly.

Now there are products for fly tyers to use such as this:

[​IMG]

Are these streamers also considered to be legal flies to be used in flies-only regulated streams?

My question is: What makes this an acceptable fly for flies-only streams?

Why can't a kid who lives on the outskirts of Idlewild in Lake County take his fishing pole and use a jig with a bit of bucktail or marabou or a rubber twister tail attached and go fish the flies-only section on the Pere Marquette?

Yet, a guy who lives hundreds of miles away can roll up in a Land Rover with a streamer like those pictured above that is essentially a jig and get away with fishing there no problem.

What's up with that?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Boardman Brookies, TK81, REG and 3 others like this.
  5. toto

toto

And your point crazy drake, is what?

Trout King likes this.
  6. crazydrake

crazydrake

No point...I just thought some may find these links interesting reads....I refrain comment on this subject, because I am not educated or knowledgeable enough on this subject....Ive been a member of this site since its inception. I come to this site to gain, give and share information . I don't post often, because I don't get out often enough to give any "real time" reports. Side note , I do miss Milton Whitmore's opening day trout report.
    I could be wrong , but it seems to me that special regulations waters were instituted after a small group or single person was fortunate enough to purchase large parcels of land with river frontage. Then after doing so , in the name of "conservation" , managed to get special regs instituted for their specific river segment. I could be wrong, and probably am. But, its not that big of a stretch to think that "they" wanted special regs to reduce traffic in these sections, in order to benefit "them".
    If science proves that a increase or decrease in creel limits benefits the overall "health" of a river, then changes should be made. If science supports increasing special regs or abolishing them altogether, then changes should be made as well. Who doesn't want whats best for the overall health of our rivers, forest, and environment ?
    Apparently testing has been done, data gathered, reports made, census provided. But, with all this information provided , people are using and interpreting this data differently. Hence, that is why there is still debate, bickering on this subject.
    At the end of it all, I wish there was some concrete numbers, facts, and science provided, that was more cut and dry.... Simply put , if "facts are facts" , changes should or shouldn't be made.

Sparky23, PunyTrout and Trout King like this.
  7. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Anyone who doesn't miss Whit1's Trout Opener threads should be taken out back and flogged...

8. toto

toto

I'll tell him you said so. Milty doesn't get out as much anymore, but maybe I can talk him into a story or two, believe me, stories he's got. Just do me one favor, DO NOT ask him about floating spawn bags.

9. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Re: Whit1’s Trout Opener Threads

We now have roughly 2 weeks to go before the traditional Trout Opener for Type 1 streams. With that in mind, here is an homage to Whit1’s Trout Opener Threads for those who aren’t familiar… A little bit of memory lane.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/the-58th.420946/#post-4103303

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/one-week-to-go.182279/#post-1601681

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/opening-day-report.18040/#post-129790

Time to get your gear ready.

I would have posted this in the Northwest forum but, this is as good a place since the topic was brought up here.

mondrella and 6Speed like this.
  10. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I feel fortunate to have met Whit many years ago when this site was young. The threads were much better back then. Less anger and better prose...LOL outings we're crazy too.

11. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Shoeman, mondrella and TK81 like this.
  12. mondrella

mondrella

The great Whit! I never got the chance to fish with him. Something always came up and our trips did not happen. We talked many times. His opening day hole I have fished many many times always leaving it opening day to him. I bought his Dryfly boat from him when he decided to part with it. It sees much use by my son. While I fish from mine.