close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Michigan Rig

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Duck-Hunter, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I have noticed interest on here about the Michigan Rig. It has been around for a long time, I've been using it for years. This rig is absolutely deadly on panfish. 90% of my rods are setup this way.

It is a simple rig, Jig on bottom for weight with a Fly tied about a foot above it. I like to use a Heavy Metal 3mm jig on bottom and a small tungsten bead head fly(#14-#16 hook)
    0111182349-02.jpeg

Seems simple enough but the common question is: How do you tie the fly to your line. The best knot I have used is a Dropper Loop Knot. This is a double cinch knot. I have landed a lot of pike and bass with this knot. The other knots I ran would weaken my line and fail. I haven't had any failures with this knot.

How to tie a Dropper Loop Knot.
    knots-dropper (1).jpg

This knot can be frustrating at first. Do not forgot to lubricate the line with a little saliva before cinching down the knot. With smaller diameter line you will need to make more twist. I do 7-8 twist for 2 lb line and 6 for 4lb. I also like my loop to be about a half inch from the main line to the top of the loop. If you make it to long the fly will hang to low and get caught on your mainline.

I hope this helps! Feel free to post any questions. Good luck and be safe, also be prepared for doubles! Happens often with this rig.

Tryin2, plugger, Steve and 4 others like this.
  2. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Saliva??

Hell - I'd just spit on that a good one! :lol: :evilsmile

Duck-Hunter likes this.

3. jimbo

jimbo

I've always had pretty good luck hooking the ice with the top hook & loosing a fish on the bottom hook

4. david boyko

david boyko

I do this too even caught some walleye and pike this way

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I'm not sure if the dropper know is made from the main line directly or is a different piece of line. Also how do you tie the fly on to the loop that you are left with?

shrubmasters@gmail.com and TK81 like this.
  6. david boyko

david boyko

I make a 6 -8 inch leader and tie it to the main line

7. Duck-Hunter

That is the only down fall, just gotta pay attention when it's getting close the ice. Been a very long time since I've had that happen

No need for another piece of line, it is tied with your mainline. I made a video a couple of years ago how to tie this up. Might have to upload a new one to YouTube. You will also need to put your fly on on your line before tying this knot

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    jimbo likes this.
  8. Quack attack

Quack attack

I use that rig, and for tying the fly I use the same knot that I use for a drop shot rig. If needed just google the drop shot knot. If tied correctly the hook will always face up insuring a good hook set. But like stated above make sure the fly does not hook the ice.

9. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I have had the fly hook engage the ice several times. Still not sure about that knot

10. Duck-Hunter

Here is a visual aid for the knot.

I've been thinking about tying this knot(without the fly on the line to begin with). Then pinching the loop, passing it through the eyelet then swinging the fly thru the loop. That way you can swap flies out and might help with keeping the fly more horizontal, away from the mainline.

fishbuster likes this.
  11. Dkarston

Dkarston

I use a trilene knot to tie on fly, leave the tag end long enough to tie tungsten jig at end.

12. TK81

TK81

That's how I do it too. Fished a couple hours tonight and ended up with 13 fish in the bucket. 5 came on the fly, including one speck and one perch.

13. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I like that idea.

14. Duck-Hunter

Best knot that I've used for this rig, I've experimented with a few. The others have failed when I hooked a pike or big bass, which happens daily. Even had them give out on panfish. Loosing a tungsten jig and a fly in one shot daily.. Adds up! Lol

It can be intimidating at first, after a tying a few it's a walk in the park

15. towner

towner

With my old eye, I have a tough enough time getting a single strain through the eye let alone two.