close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Michigan Resident with a Hunter Safety from a Different State

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by Dimner, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Dimner

Dimner

Good afternoon,

In my early thirties, before I started hunting in the State of Michigan, I used to drive out to a friend's place in Texas. I was a Michigan resident at the time. We camped and hiked and he did a bit of hunting. Later trip I took a hunter safety course there and did some hunts. So I have a Texas hunter safety cert.

Fast forward a few years, and I was no longer able to make those long drives to Texas. But the hunting bug had me locked in!

So when I first started hunting here, I learned that hunter safety certificates from different states are valid in Michigan. So I was all set.

Then other day, I'm on another forum and there is a bloke from the UK coming to the US to do some hunting out west, not sure what state, but a state that has similar rules as Michigan. This state out west does not recognize the UK's certificate system, so he takes an online course for the Texas hunters safety. This course requires no field day.

So here's where I am going with this. I know CO's will check to see if the people they contact while on patrol have kill tags and if they have had Hunter's Safety. How am I going to show up in the system? I have my Texas card somewhere. I don't carry it. I have been reading the Bi-Weekly reports and now realize I should find that card and carry it. Is this whole Texas online certificate with no field day a loop hole in the system?

2. The Rev.

The Rev.

If you’ve purchased hunting licenses in Michigan since you've been back from Texas your information should be in the system that you’d already passed. Thats why you only need your DL now

3. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

If you have your kill tags it's unlikely the CO would run your info and most certainly wouldn't ask to see your hunters safety certificate. Your kill tag is proof you've taken hunters safety.

4. Dimner

Dimner

That's a very common misconception. Anyone can buy a kill tag, especially since we have the 'apprentice' hunter system where a solo hunter can hunt 2 years without H.E. it's basically the honor system when you buy a tag at the counter.

CO's will look and see if people meet the requirements, which is why I am wondering about this loophole.

Here is an example from a DNR report a couple months ago:

CO Matt Page and Sgt. Zach Doss were on patrol near Keeler State Game Area in Van Buren County, when they observed two hunters in a vehicle, which was stopped in the roadway obstructing traffic. A traffic stop was made and during the contact it was discovered that the two hunters had purchased hunting licenses without meeting hunter safety requirements. Citations were issued for purchasing the licenses while ineligible.

5. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

That was a completely messed up retroactive rule. You could've been buying licenses for many years without having had hunter's safety. There is a clause the grandfathered people in that had previously purchased licenses. How they came up with the year is another thing that stumped me.

Regardless, if you plan on hunting in Colorado (there may be others that are the same) you have to show the certificate at time of purchase, if you were born after 1949.

6. petronius

petronius

Anyone born in 1960 or after and not using an apprentice license must present a hunter safety certificate or previous hunting license. Some people are able to skirt the system.

In Michigan, a hunter safety certificate or previous hunting license from Michigan, another state or another country is valid.

324.43520 Hunting license; issuance to minor child; requirements; duties of issuing agent; proof of previous hunting experience or certification of completion of training in hunter safety; affidavit; information to be recorded; apprentice license; mentored youth hunting license; additional licenses; fee; report.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4t....aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-324-43520

7. Dimner

Dimner

there is what the law 'says'... and what is actually done.

I was born after 1960. Never have I been asked to present a hunter safety certificate. My wife has applied for a kill tag once. (thus would have been an apprentice license) She has not had any hunters education.

Dunhams, Meijer, the gas station, none of them ever ask for a certificate. There are not 'some' who are able to skirt the system... There is no system other than a CO checking on the records of a hunter. It's the honor system.

8. sourdough44

sourdough44

Seems like it’s easier than ever to do an online safety course. For the most part, a hunters safety course from any State suffices, when one is required.

I took a few young’uns in WI a few years back. I figured since I was driving & stayed with, I may as well refresh my certificate. Yeah, a Western State or 2 and a few places in Canada require a safety citificate, at any age. I consider a hunter safety class as just the initial step towards safe hunting, need the follow up.

petronius likes this.
  9. 300wby

300wby

There are states that you are supposed to carry your hunter safety card while hunting along with your license. Colorado is one. You can get your card certified in Colorado by taking it to a DNR office there so you don’t have to carry it. Not sure how much it’s enforced but I don’t want to find out either.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

10. Floater

Floater

I took hunters safety in Michigan when I was young. I'm much older now. Never had a problem purchasing licenses here or elsewhere. Was planning a trip west to hunt with buddies a few years back. That State said you must have proof of hunter's saftey when afield. Went online and could not find proof of hunters safety through the MI dnr website. I called and was told that it is not uncommon for those records to have been lost. Whatever paper forms the dnr had were transferred to microfiche then pdf and so on and many were lost in the process. I was told it wouldn't be a problem in MI as they could see hunting licenses for me going back 30 years. Went hunting west anyways but I was always uneasy about not having proof of hunters safety. My son took hunters safety a few years ago. I decided to just do it again. I figured I'd be in the room with him for field day anyways. The online portion was relatively quick as I only took the tests. The field day was informative and I didn't consider it a waste of time at all. I guess what I'm saying is that its really not a big deal to take the course again. It'll give you peace of mind and you may re-familiarize yourself with gun safety. Seeing as how you never took a field day before, the rest of us sharing the woods with you would appreciate it.

imjon, TrapperJohn and Dimner like this.
  11. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

BTW, the Secretary of War is taking her first trip out west and didn't have her card. She took hunter's safety in the early seventies and I told her she may have to take it again. I contacted the DNR through their website and about 5 days later, she received a certificate in the mail. She was pleased as she's working 6 days a week now.