Michigan Inland Waterway

Discussion in 'Kayaking, Kayak Fishing, Canoeing, Canoe Racing' started by Ricky Bubbles, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Ricky Bubbles

Ricky Bubbles

Has anyone ever paddled it? The route from Conway, Michigan to Lake Huron in Cheboygan - approximately 40 miles.

Looking to plan a springtime adventure and I think I would like to tackle this route, but wondering if it might be a bit developed or have too much traffic to paddle.

Also considering a long paddle / camping excursion down the Black River as it seems a bit more "wild" although it's almost twice the distance at ~78 miles.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. stickman1978

stickman1978

Did most of the inland waterway in a boat. Might be wise to do it before Memorial Day weekend. Mullet and Burt are pretty big lakes. Stay close to shore and watch wind speed/direction. They can put up some big waves.

3. Jimbos

Jimbos

Do it during the week most any month early in the day and you'll be fine. Keep an eye on wind direction crossing the big water.

4. fisheater

fisheater

Would there be camping on this route? I have not pulled a map, just asking if someone more familiar would know.
    I have a vague idea of this route. I have thought for a while that there might be some interesting fishing and sights along this route.