Michigan doing their best to turn hunters off

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bucknasty11208, Jul 18, 2020.

1. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

The kirtlands warbler is toughted as this remarkable success story. It costs the taxpayers of the US govt millions. We will have to cut trees and replant trees forever for this bird to live. They cannot survive without constant replanting of trees because they cannot adapt and nest under a different species of tree or different size of tree. With the fire preventative systems we have the bird will never have natural reproduction of trees they require.

Are we supposed to support this program forever? Did you know that they shut the warbler areas off from entry 4 months of the year? No hiking, camping, mushrooming, bird watching etc. In all of these massive zones for this tiny expensive bird.

It is a stupid program. If there is a budget cut that can be made to recoup covid monies this is a prime candidate.

Whitetail_hunter likes this.
  2. bucknasty11208

bucknasty11208

There are still plenty being filled just not at the rate they once were due to highly diminished populations.
    I myself would have a hard time shooting a doe where we hunt. Partly because I’ve become a bit of a softy and don’t want to shoot does while they have their young with them, partly because I’m only interested in shooting a buck I would want to put on the wall, and largely because the numbers are down so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. 3X8

3X8

Same

4. bigfishcatcher3

bigfishcatcher3

I always thought the Jack's were planted because they were fast growing and to be cut back down for paper products. Timber is what founded some of those small towns but boy seems like a crap habitat for the other 99% of wildlife. Drive through in winter and could go miles without cutting a fresh track of any sort.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ridgewalker, Wild Thing and Scout 2 like this.
  5. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

The warbler habit that I see I don't know how you could hike or hunt in it. It is so thick a deer cannot get thru a lot of it. Besides the land where these areas are around here is so piss poor that is all that will grow there.

Nostromo and Wild Thing like this.
  6. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

I agree. If the warblers are that damn picky, let them die. Deer are a lot less maintenance and have more meat on them too.

7. swampbuck

swampbuck

I dont care much for the bird, but they are of the endangered list now, So it was a success.

Lots of deer bed in those jacks, great travel corridors also. Don’t sell them short, if you havent figured them out

wallhanger81 likes this.
  8. skipper34

skipper34

Agreed. We hunt in those jacks and see deer.

9. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Yes very true they love the grasses that grow in there to bed in. Only use them if food is nearby. Some jackpines are void of any deer if they are surrounded by pines and no cutover or oaks in my area.

10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Stop fighting wildfires, except around structures and we would not have to have a program. Our mismanagement of our natural areas is remarkable.

ridgewalker likes this.
  11. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

The extinction of any species, due to the mismanagement of our natural areas, is a crime against nature. There is no excuse for it. It would appear that we didn't learn anything from what we did to the once massive flocks of wild pigeons. Now there are none. Not much can be said for our legacy, and yet, we still seem to want to continue to destroy, for no real good reason.

RiverRanger likes this.
  12. bucknasty11208

bucknasty11208

I don’t see how you hunt those jack pine stands. The ones near where we hunt are nearly impenetrable. I can’t see 10 feet into those things. I can’t even fathom how to get into them without making noise and spooking any deer that might be in there.

13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Just takes a little practice. LOL! If the deer are in there, they can be got.

14. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

With a bowie knife. Close quarters combat.

15. brdhntr

brdhntr

You know, I bird hunt that area. Grew up just North of there. If I stuck to the same bird covers as much as deer hunters like to do, I'd not see many birds. There are plenty of deer in that area, you just have to accept that since the 80's when there was a deer behind every tree, you have to actually find good habitat, now. If you are sitting in poor habitat on public land adjoining private that likely has decent to very good habitat, you aren't going to have much luck. There are several areas just N of Glennie that have recently had Aspen cuts done. You would do yourself a favor to look into them.

motdean, Forest Meister and mbrewer like this.