Michigan Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Symposium Presentations

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Pinefarm2015, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Drake

Drake

2. Justsayin

Justsayin

Nope and Nope. All the peer reviewed studies I've seen show no link to CWD transmission associated with reproduction.

Drake likes this.
  3. Drake

Drake

Thank you !!

Sent from my Pixel using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

The first dozen (or more) deer michigan found with CWD and all were found to be related to each other.

Here is a study that shows all 3 of a doe's fawns were born with CWD.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/cwd-update-study-pass-cwd-fawns

Also in the UK cows passed BSE on to calves. They eradicated the disease by killing 4.4 million head of cattle and stopped feeding bone meal to cows.

The only thing I have seen that suggests your opinion is that prions aren't passed on in milk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

motdean and Drake like this.
  5. Justsayin

Justsayin

There is no lack of bad information out there regarding CWD. Partial truth, false and misleading statements makes it hard to know who to trust... I just want the truth, whatever it is, every possible perspective included so we don't keep pissin' in the wind.

In Michigan, reports I've seen were only for the Lansing area which indicated several of the positives were related to one another. I'm pretty sure the DNA testing is not done to the level necessary to show direct relation only generally related. Think 7th cousin on step mothers side twice removed... not dam to fawn or womb relations.

The article from DDH I'd not read before. My two cents... A study on exotic deer where 3 of 14 fawns lived more than a few days and then tested positive for CWD after 4.8 years... ?? I'm not sure this shows a link to maternal transmission.

Classical BSE was related to feeding cattle protein and other by products like bone meal, brain, etc. derived from cattle. Changing feed standards to exclude all ruminant material from cattle feed had dramatic impact to further infection. Pretty much stopped new cases other than what is now called spontaneous a-typical occurrences.

My opinion regarding maternal transmission is based on World Health Org (WHO) publications on TSE infectivity among hundreds of other sources. https://www.who.int/bloodproducts/tablestissueinfectivity.pdf

Something that is important and rarely included in most publications... Evidence of prion is not evidence of disease or infectivity. For instance urine has shown evidence of prions. The amount of urine required to equal the infectivity of one gram of positive brain material (~ a grape size piece) is 600 55-gallon drums from exclusively CWD positive deer... that's a lot of piss. justsayin'

Dish7 likes this.
  6. motdean

motdean

Can you share the sources when you mention the reports that you’ve seen?

7. Justsayin

Justsayin

The Michigan report is in the Chad Stewarts symposium presentation. See OP.

We should be able to trust what our public officials tell us. However, stretching truth, omissions, and false statements have become standard operating practice. I believe they are doing their best to protect their interests, by any means necessary. When lies are told about the little things, I tend not to trust anything. On the relatedness, I talked with some of the lab folks. Animal DNA techniques are far less specific. Bucks breed any doe they can... this generalizes DNA profiles.