MI Proof of Insurance

Discussion in 'Outdoor News' started by frenchriver1, Jan 12, 2018.

1. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Went to renew my plate/sticker this week and was told I did not need to provide proof of insurance, "already in the record." Does this mean I do not have to have proof of insurance if I am stopped by a LEO? Do the SOS records RE: insurance flow over to the databases used by LEOs?

And thank you to the State, had to fork over $5 for a new plate, mine was 10 years old. Considering the price for renewal, the new plate should have been free.

itchn2fish, Scout 2 and Dtb810 like this.
  2. Scout 2

Scout 2

I was told when I renewed mine a couple years ago that there is a code on you reg that shows you have insurance. As far as getting stopped I have no idea but it seems that it should show up when they run yur tags

itchn2fish likes this.

3. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

According to the Blue Bears in Brighton, their system does not capture insurance coverage, you still have to provide same if stopped.

itchn2fish likes this.
  4. petronius

petronius

Insurance companies send the insurance information to the Secretary of State. Not sure if there is a code on the vehicle registration, but on the registration renewal notice, it states that proof of insurance is not needed (the Secretary of State already knows that you have insurance). The information is shared with the Department of Community Health.
    As for showing proof of insurance at a traffic stop, it is possible that there could be a time lag between changing insurance companies and the state having it in its database. The state's database go be down too.

Electronic Insurance Reporting FAQ
    http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-12539_59971---F,00.html

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. msfcarp

msfcarp

There is a Pin# on your registration renewal if the SOS has your insurance info, if not, you need to bring your proof with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

There is no such thing as free anything, no point in wishing for it! :p

itchn2fish likes this.