Mercury 9.9 4 stroke.

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by gransportw, Aug 15, 2020.

1. gransportw

gransportw

Hi I have a 2006 mercury 9.9 4 stroke pro kicker. I used it last weekend on the bay with no problems. Went to use it today on lake Michigan. The only way itll run is throttle opened up in neutral. And still wont rev up. Runs like at idle. Thinking only on one cylinder maybe. Try to put in gear and dies. Has spark. Compression seems good. Anyone have any suggestions before I start tearing. Thanks

kroppe likes this.
  2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Clogged carb jet.

3. on a call

on a call

Linkage problems ?

4. kroppe

kroppe

Vacuum leak or fuel delivery problem. One possibility is a carb jet as esox noted.

How old is the fuel supply line which holds the squeeze bulb? These are regular maintenance items, 5 years is a good replacement time frame. They don’t last forever. 15 years is close to forever.

When did you last change the spark plugs? What is the general level of maintenance on this motor?

Topshelf and phantom cls like this.
  5. gransportw

gransportw

I just bought the engine probably 3 months ago. Line and tank was bought probably 3 years ago. Plugs was changed a couple months ago. Just changed them yesterday. Just to make sure. Guy said it had been serviced. In the process of changing fuel filter now. Took carb apart. Cleaned jets. Which didnt need cleaning. I need to talk to a merc mechanic. Any on board? PM please

6. white whale

white whale

Is linkage to choke o.k.? I had mine come off one time when a small snap ring came off linkage. Used a zip tie to reconnect and it ran fine.
    Good luck!

7. countryboy17

countryboy17

Carb jet is plugged, mine did the same thing. Some of the passages in them are tiny. Mine didn't look dirty but that was the fix. Clean every passage out with a small wire and blow out with air.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. gransportw

gransportw

I had it apart yesterday. Took jets out and sprayed carb cleaner. Reinstalled. Same thing. Was messing with primer button while running.. it finally revved up. But not every time. Needs to be wide open in neutral. Just to idle. I take a closer look for dirt. Thanks for the help. Really appreciated!

kroppe likes this.
  9. kroppe

kroppe

@gransportw has the fuel supply hose and squeeze bulb been replaced?

Topshelf likes this.
  10. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

Mine did that once

Water in the fuel?

Scout 2 likes this.
  11. gransportw

gransportw

The ball and hose is about three years old. I took the carb apart again. Used air and carb cleaner. It's getting better. Still isn't 100 % but it's running. Gonna run it in st clair tomorrow. I put sea foam in it. Let's hope.

12. jstfish48162

jstfish48162

Primer bulb may have a slight tear/crack.
    Try replacing that maybe?
    Just a thought....happened to my buddy on his 2 stroke 9.9 Mercury

13. gransportw

gransportw

Ok here's a update. I had carb off again. Took it out Saturday on anchor bay. Motor runs. Wide open and runs at idle speed. Put in neutral. Will rev up. Put back in gear. Full throttle. Runs idle speed. Stumped! Side note. Is line in tank supposed to have some kind of filter? This one does not.

14. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

15. gransportw

gransportw

I had it out. Sprayed with cab cleaner. Used air. Blew air thru every hole I seen. Added sea foam to gas. Will rev up when not in gear. Put in gear wont rev up.