Memorial thread for dogs that have passed

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by kek25, Mar 27, 2014.

1. kek25

kek25

Thought I'd start this thread in memory of our dogs that have passed. Please post a single best photo that you have with birthdate and date of death together with any words you might want to write in remembrance.

[​IMG]

JAKE
    07/2003 - 03/2014
    A TRUE "MEAT DOG." LOYAL AND TOLERANT TO THE VERY END. RIP, BUDDY.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Liver and Onions and Woodster like this.
  2. colvinch

colvinch

Jasper RIP
    Rescued 10/2006- 9/21/13
    You are still missed every day buddy, you have left paw prints on our hearts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Woodster likes this.

3. drwink

drwink

Our last GSP "Eli" not sure on the DOB as he was a rescue dog. He came to us in December 2000 and we figured he was close to 18 months. He passed in May of 2013. He was really my wife's best companion and stuck to her like glue, He was creamated and is on the headboard of my wifes side of the bed. RIP Eli, you will never be forgotton.

[​IMG]

Woodster likes this.
  4. Worm Dunker

Worm Dunker

This is my first setter Orange Sam 2-2-94 to 12-12-08. I had a lot of dogs before him but he was my first real grouse dog. We hunted pheasant and quail in Ks. and pheasant and quail in Iowa. He changed me from a shoot them out the window meat hunter to a bird hunter.

[​IMG][/IMG]

This was my second setter Black Berry Gypsy we called her Maggie 5-96 to 1-07. She died 10 days after this pictures was taken and both her and Sammy's ashes are buried under this tree in my best honny hole. She was a rescue dog. She had been changed to a dog house on a two foot chain as a pup. I got her at age two. She was my best setter ever so far. And the best woodcock dog I've hunted over. If there is a heaven and my best friend Harold made it I'll bet my setter are still out hunting his Elhew Pointers. Both these and all my setters go back to Ch. Stoakely's Jake

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  5. Padilen

Padilen

[​IMG]
    8-16-12

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    8-16-13

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
    Woodster likes this.
  6. post126

post126

[​IMG]

Remington on point last yr. It was the last time I had her out on birds.

05/01 - 04/18/14

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    Woodster likes this.
  7. shawnhunts1

shawnhunts1

We lost our brittany Tess yesterday to lupus. I had to put her down it was quick and peaceful.

8. michgundog

michgundog

[​IMG]

RIP "Indy" Connemara's Indiana Sunrise JH 8/2/2003•••10/28/2013

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. midwestfisherman

midwestfisherman

Aspen

03/13/2010 - 06/15/2014

Rest in peace Little Buddy. You will be missed!! :(

[​IMG]

This is a little something that my wife put together.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  10. sundaytrucker

sundaytrucker

Good thread idea.

RIP Springset What A Boy (Max) 1/4/2002 - 10-4-2014
    Love you buddy!
    Pic and thoughts when the pain subsides a bit.

Woodster likes this.
  11. Bobby

Bobby

[​IMG]

Ruby Lou, 2005 - 2014

Left to Right Ruby Lou is the second dog. This photo was taken a few hours before she left us.

Ruby Lou, Cracklin Tail Speed X Pioneer Nina. When we got on the list for a puppy from this litter we were 5th. When the litter was born there were only 3 puppies. I really wanted a Speed dog. Scott Chaffee told me to be patient, he'll get back in a couple days. 2 days later we had dibs on the last pup left. We were happy, she cam home a few days later. Last week we loaded up the 4 setters and headed for Montana, a week on the Praries. We arrived Sunday morning, and by 3 we were on our first walk with Ruby and her get, Maddie Mae. 10 minutes later we walked into a stand in front of Ruby and 15 sharpies lifted. She didn't need to retrieve, all 10 shots passed by the birds and fell listlessly to the ground. She finished that walk with a stand on a brood of pheasant. No shots fired, the season is yet to open on these. She kept up the good bird work the rest of the week and our shooting improved. I didn't take many notes, I have no idea how many we dropped over her, but she had stands on every walk. Friday was our last day on the prairie and the same duo as our first walk took our last walk. Ruby started by pinning 3 sharpies on a ridge top. They lifted before I could get in range. She then pinned a single and my partner missed. That single flew to a shelter belt. We sent Ruby that way and the Garmin beeped at 250 yards. She was standing tall with Maddie backing when I arrived. It blew out the back of the tree line and lived another day. Her next stand was a large covey where we dropped 3. We walked to pick up the 2 closest, we turned to send her for a retrieve and she was standing again. This was a single that I missed. My shooting was very bad on this walk. We turned her around and sent her to retrieve the 3rd bird from the previouis stand. She ran down the winged sharpie and bought it alive, to hand. We took a break, watered both dogs and decided we were finished, heading back to the truck about a 1/4 mile distant. The dogs hunted their way back. Just before arriving the Garmin beeped, Ruby standing at 122 yards. I crested a small rise and couldn't see her. Confused I looked around, looked back at the Garmin, she's 80 yards I should see her. Maddie then came down, spun and stopped right where the Garmin indicated Ruby was standing. Something was wrong, I ran, she was flat on her side, she was gone. I tried CPR, I then ran her back to the truck to soak her with cool water, but in looking back, she was gone when I found her. It was a long ride home.

12. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    Here's Maxwell, he was more human then some humans. He loved to swim and walk in the woods and was dedicated to the family.
    We had to put him down two years a go this month, when I came home from work at 1am he was paralyzed. It still haunts me if I acted to quick and should of I tried to have tests done.
    I carry one of his dog tags on my key chain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Woodster and Old Man like this.
  13. us11857

us11857

Koda was my beautiful llewellin setter, born 12/15/2010 died 12/30/2013. My 2 year old son called him "Boo". He was the first "kid" my wife and I had. Truly a gift from God that brought so much happiness to our family. He was a grouse hunting machine. Unfortunately he swallowed something he shouldn't have and passed away on the operating table trying to get it removed. We miss him dearly.

Attached Files:

Woodster likes this.
  14. pikestalker

pikestalker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lady, my GSP, 1999-2013
    Gone but never forgotten!

15. Black GSP

Black GSP

Great pinned thread and certainly some great dogs we had in the past. As my hunting buddy / 1st cousin says, hope that our bird dogs meet us up above when our time is over! Here is a pic of my GSP Gunnar I lost to brain / throat cancer. Amazing thing is he showed no sign of the tumor during the hunting season and it hit him hard just after the season was over.
    [​IMG]He certainly loved to hunt like a champ and was a great family dog when not in the field. Is now part of a slew in SD where we took a lot of roosters from (name the slew after him). Will always remember him getting out of the truck and holding his nose up high and took in all the smells of out west or up north. Certainly miss that ol bird dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Woodster likes this.