close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Meet Clair the Labrador

Discussion in 'Waterfowl hunting dogs' started by AaronJohn, Apr 1, 2018.

1. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Just picked up my new yellow lab, Clair. Been waiting a long time for this dog, she’s from Canada.

Excited to start working with a dog so throw me a few or your tips/tricks do’s/don’ts to help me make a loyal and hard working dog that performs while water-fowling.

Note: see my thread in dog training regarding which multiple dog training collar/remote to look at if you have some advice! IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1829.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. SND

SND

Good looking girl there. I had a male yellow lab that was more a companion than a hunter. Good dogs for sure. Enjoy !!!

3. Larry Kirwan

Larry Kirwan

She's a Dandy-best pal there is.....she will never LIE to you..

4. John Koos

John Koos Premium Member

SHOT GUN! and snuggler.

5. don novicki

don novicki

Lots of good times ahead for you and her. You'll always have a hunting buddy from now on.

6. Anas rubripes

Anas rubripes

I have a copy of this if you'd be interested in it. It has a lot of fun foundational stuff in it for both puppy and trainer. That seesaw drill ended up being the key to burning enough energy off the top of my boy after work so that I had even a chance of relaxing at some point after work. Way better than his preferred alternative which usually involved a sock or a roll of toilet paper and him wanting me to chase him - there's nothing good to be learned there.

I'm an analytical thinker and a novice so I needed some structure even in my puppy training. I found Bill Hillman's Training a Retriever Puppy easy to follow and a lot of fun for both of us. I really, really enjoyed it. It's expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. You can find used copies if you poke around for a bit.
    http://www.hawkeyemedia.net/

Lots of fun ahead!

7. ajkulish

ajkulish

Inspire that drive early, but don't over do it. When she gets a little bigger, take here to a hallway in your house and close the doors. This is a great spot to throw a duck wing and will only allow her to bring it right back to you. I would do 3 tosses a day, and then end that session. Always leave her wanting more, and not getting bored.

Later on, start with "find the bird" or "hunt em up" or whatever. I liked to let the dog sit in a room where he could not see me hide the wing in my house, would return, and then tell him "find the bird!" and watch him bound around the house relying on his nose to find the prize. Once she gets good in the house, take this activity outside.

I should mention that all training comes down to the fundamentals, though. A good sit, stay, here, heel are the foundation of a reliable dog.

This one is personal preference, but I don't feed my dog table food. No one likes a begging dog, and I firmly believe that once a dog starts getting human food, it will be quick to lose focus at the whiff of a BBQ in the back yard. I'm sure some will disagree, but whatever.

Finally, just let her be a puppy. Let her explore and gain confidence. Confidence is the difference maker between a good dog and great dog.

Just some thoughts i developed over the past year and a half of training my dog. Take them as you will. Experts will have more to contribute.

8. jfn

jfn

Great Looking Pup !!

9. stackemup

stackemup

Find a local HRC club, if you don’t know of one already. You’ll find some good people to train with.

Lamarsh likes this.
  10. GDLUCK

GDLUCK

good thing she's ugly. Otherwise you'll be letting her sleep on your bed.

smelz like wet dog and SteelShot like this.
  11. Take'm

Take'm

I'd truly suggest you purchase either "Game Dog" or "Water Dog" videos (or books) per the below details:
    Author: Richard Wolters
    Host: Charles T Jurney

Depends on how you plan to hunt with your dog. If you intend to include upland birds, "Game Dog" will be more valuable, if you are focusing only on Waterfowl, then "Water Dog" is the go-to video. Either way, I'd suggest that you learn the training method based on a baseball field with you on home plate and the dog on the pitchers mound. Having your dog trained to perform blind retrieves separates good dogs from great dogs.

12. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Its tempting. but i'm staying true to the crate training. breaks my hart but its fun to see the daily progress, crate training will truly make a dog more obedient.

We have a beagle that sleeps in our bed (not my wishes) so we are at max capacity.

ajkulish likes this.
  13. retired dundo

retired dundo

R rally nice you can’t beat dogs.They never yell at you or complain

14. GDLUCK

GDLUCK

is that not a bed she is sleeping on in the pic?