close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MDNR Says Earlier Bass Season Good For Michigan

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by djkimmel, Apr 17, 2014.

1. steve myers

steve myers

I would think just having it closed January thru March would be good.There isn't a good reason to target or keep bass in ice fishing being they are so sluggish and not much fight.Get a better fight out of an 8 inch gill in winter.

2. waterfoul

waterfoul

Then why even bother closing it for that time frame? What good will it do the fish? Most people don't target bass thru the ice anyway. All it would do is put restrictions on fishermen who might catch one. Bluegills taste better anyway!

3. hunterjon313

hunterjon313

I think this would be AWESOME, this weather has been killing me to get out and catch and release some pre spawn bass but obviously cant! I wouldn't even mind if they made the C&R season opener on the last Saturday in March instead of April. It sucks having to wait almost half of the spring to fish for them legally!! Lol .Just my opinion though!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. tenring

tenring

The DNR always sold their position on why they didn't support an early C&R season for bass was that it would be a detriment to the spawning season, but based on your quote above "never support punishing the vast majority of good anglers because of the possibility of a few bad anglers" that doesn't appear to be the case. What does "support punishing the vast majority of good anglers because of the possibility of a few bad anglers" mean?

So, all along the DNR knew that an early C&R season would not effect bass spawning or populations, but they had another agenda?

5. tenring

tenring

Hell yeah brother.

6. fishmagnetmike

fishmagnetmike gone fishin

Bass are like carp only thing good about them is the fight carp even taste better than lm bass I would never keep one I see no reason to have closed season

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. hunterjon313

hunterjon313

The only reason I ever keep a bass is to weigh um in at the end of a tourney lol, and they are always released with no harm! I have never tasted bass and I really dont care to!

8. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

I'm glad so many people don't eat bass. Becuz their great!! More for me :) we cook em up right with pike and bluegill and crappie. All taste great can't tell the difference what is what. Maybe late summer when their in warm water I won't keep them. Bit I won't keep pike then either. Early season their great tho. Just like every fish really. Thru the ice their tasty critters. If you can get them to bite.

Sent from my SPH-L720

9. nowicki2005

nowicki2005

Not a lot of time to ice fish for them...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

Yeah I know but if you can get em their awesome. Usually end up picking up a few on tip ups early in the year while pike fishing.

Sent from my SPH-L720

11. hunterjon313

hunterjon313

Not positive, but I think as of now after January 1st you can't keep um, not too much time to catch and keep um on hard water depending on how early we get safe ice I guess!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  12. djkimmel

djkimmel

We've been fishing all or most of the bass spawn since 1970 when the season moved to Memorial weekend. All of the spawn in the 'more sensitive' waters of the UP and Northern Michigan. Some of our fishing regulations exist due to social reasons not scientific or biological but my reference about not supporting punishing the good anglers because of a few bad people has to do with recent claims from other anglers about concerns that someone might try to poach walleye while saying they're bass fishing if we open the season earlier. It also refers to things like making the regular drop shot rig illegal in parts of Michigan because it is somewhat similar, though generally much smaller, to the long-line snagging rigs some lawbreakers may use.

Bad people will always be bad. They'll find some way to try the crap they try. The rest of us, the vast majority, should not be so restricted for that reasoning. Unless a Michigan water is closed to ALL fishing, there is always something legal to fish for so adding bass isn't going to make a big difference. It may actually help because more legal-minded anglers will now also be able to fish more and there are many more anglers who can watch things on our waters than there are Conservation Officers. Plus, pike and walleye are open all year on the LP Great Lakes already, along with longer seasons on some inland lakes.

Bass are in thousands of Michigan inland lakes. The only fish in more lakes are panfish. It is not wise use of the resource to close thousands of inland lakes because there are walleye in a few hundred that some people want a closure for. Pike are struggling in many waters now. That is a habitat loss problem. Closing them in the spring isn't helping the lakes that are in trouble due to habitat loss. But closing bass fishing too sure removes a lot of fishing opportunity for the most popular Michigan game fish (589,000 anglers in 2011). Again, bass are targeted in many, many more lakes than pike are.

We shouldn't close all inland lakes to bass fishing because of less than 1,000 lakes with pike and walleye in them. That's not even considering how many of those lakes actually have naturally sustained populations of pike and walleye. If there's no spawn to protect, why close them at all? Leave them open to catch-and-release fishing. That is something someone proposed last year for the few dozen muskie lakes that have no natural reproduction. There's no spawn to protect so why not let people fish? Most bass and muskie anglers practice catch-and-release anyway, and people are used to special regs for muskies by now.

13. djkimmel

djkimmel

I love ice out bass fishing. Doesn't matter if it is in late February, March or April. It changes each year. It is some of my favorite bass fishing. Problem is, I have to leave Michigan and spend my money somewhere else to do it.

I know some people who enjoy ice fishing for bass up until December 31, during those years we have ice anyway. The proposal our group turned in is only looking for catch-and-release bass fishing during that January 1 through spring period. If people want to do it, and some definitely do, and the fish populations can handle it, which most of them can, then we should let them do it.

More people fishing more often is a good thing for Michigan and all of us who love the outdoors. It's a big chunk of many of our livelihoods, and a big chunk of the MDNR's operating budget.

People who love bass fishing just want to go fishing whenever they can. With our connected world, dedicated bass anglers know that you can fish for bass all year just about everywhere else. Can't blame them for wanting the same thing here. There are places in Michigan where you can fish open water almost all year, or all year many years. If it were legal to do so, I'd be out there sometimes. I love to fish. And bass are my favorite fish overall.

It's great in Michigan that we have so many choices for so many anglers desires. I hope that we can continue to seek more fishing opportunity through more sound science.

14. djkimmel

djkimmel

I'm with you there. Love bass fishing in April. Love bass fishing even in March or earlier at ice out, or in rivers without ice. Problem is I haven't had the budget the past few years to go out of state to do it so I've been sitting home going stir crazy myself trying to wait until the end of April each year.

I do sometimes go out for panfish. I like fishing for just about any fish that bites really. I don't like very much though when I go out in my 20 year old bass boat (because I can't afford to also have a walleye boat, panfish boat, etc. :) ) with a bobber and a #8 hook and worm, and still have to put up with people hollering at me about bass season being closed. Even calling the CO on me on some inland lakes. I just want to go fishing like everyone else and enjoy Pure Michigan.

I literally used to target a few inland lakes each spring that had good populations of bedding dogfish because it was practice for bedding bass fishing later. Dogfish are open all year. I could do it and not break any law. Still had to deal with people on shore yelling bass season ain't open! Or stopping me at the boat ramp to give me a lecture. I know. Thank you.

I expect some people would read that and not believe or think it sounds crazy. It's just how us fishing addicts are. The type of fish doesn't really matter. We're all a lot more alike than we are different. Any regulations that are scientifically supported AND give us less things to disagree on are good for fishing.

15. hunterjon313

hunterjon313

Luckily we only have two days left till C&R opens!! I'll be on St. Clair Saturday for sure!!