close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

May be done

Discussion in 'Archery' started by crossneyes, Aug 12, 2017.

1. crossneyes

crossneyes

I have developed bursitis in my elbow,and as of now cannot pull my beloveded Matthews back. Not sure if this is going to be a ongoing problem, but if it is I will either have to give up bow hunting or go to a crossbow, which I'm not convinced I want to do,they seem bulky and cumbersome to me. I know many use them,just not sure its for me

2. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I know what you are dealing with, After having two shoulder surgeries in the last couple years and having a bad elbow on my bow arm. I am having a very hard time shooting any bows. I bought a xbow last year just incase, but it is collecting dust . I am rehabbing by only shooting my recurve a couple shots a day. Compounds were hurting my shoulder that was just done in February, but the recurve hurts my elbow. So I go with the lesser of two evils in the pain dept. I use a elbow brace such does help. But mainly rest and ice help the most. If you do go with an xbow at least you have a legitimate reason to, and it will keep you out in the woods.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    crossneyes likes this.

3. 454casull

454casull

I'd rather see you get into a newer low poundage vertical bow then resort to the xbow but a man has got to know his limitations. Bow arm or draw arm? Weakness or pain? I'm thinking (without knowing anything about you) you could lower poundage and modify your draw as a work around? Ideas are cheap....

4. michael marrs

michael marrs

whatever you decide, I wish you well

slowpaya likes this.
  5. crossneyes

crossneyes

Thanks. I really hope this clears up enough in the next couple weeks to be able to practice a limited amount anyway. Been bow hunting since age 12,not all that crazy about giving it up!

stickbow shooter and snortwheeze like this.
  6. Bucman

Bucman

Get a Xbow! Enjoy what you love it's still hunting! Good luck

7. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

That is what I was going to say, but within limits. Me? When/if I ever get to the point where I can no longer shoot a 50 pound bow, I will probably cross over to the dark side. :eek:
    Also, an older good friend of mine who was once an AVID archery hunter told me
    "Joe, one day the day will come that you just loose it as far as archery is concerned". He said "It sucks! But happens to us all"! So, the other reason that I would cross over is loss of ability or confidence to kill a deer humanely. Fortunately for me, I'll be 59 this year and probably shooting better than I have ever shot in my life...
    <----<<<

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 12:32 PM
  8. 454casull

454casull

I'll respect my elders (you got a couple on me) and fully agree with you on all points. Right now for me it's the 70# plateau, I have 60>40 to cycle through before turning to the xbow. By that time we may just press a button and venison will appear before our eyes or we will all be hunting for existence shooting whatever equipment we have in order to survive. Joe will still be catching walleye w/out breaking a sweat....

9. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    <----

10. crossneyes

crossneyes

Draw arm,and it's painful, plus the repatiton of drawing will not let it heal. Trust me if In a couple weeks I can shoot my bow semi comfortably i will stay with my trusty Matthews

11. 88luneke

88luneke

I had bursitis in my draw shoulder. I went to PT for about 6 weeks and got a shot in my shoulder.

PTs are magicians dude. Lol. I'm sure the shot helped, but it's quite amazing the difference it all made.

crossneyes likes this.
  12. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

I'll use a vertical bow until I no longer can but would not hesitate to buy a crossbow if that was my only option. Some guys might give you a hard time who aren't in your painful position but if it keeps you in the woods that is the name of the game.

13. jd4223

jd4223

I had to go to the crossbow about 4 years ago due to torn rotator(refused surgery). Although I have problems cocking the bow,I'm still able to hunt. With the crossbow,it only has to be cocked 1 time and then I'm good until I finally make the shot no matter how many hours or even days later.