Maumee

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Gstan1, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Gstan1

Gstan1

I'm looking for someone who knows the Maumee River in Ohio pretty well. If you could shoot me a PM I'd appreciate it.
    Just had a few questions.

2. loomis82

loomis82

Lived on the maumee for almost 30 years

3. Gstan1

Gstan1

I'm looking for a place to fish for sheepshead, don't laugh.
    This is an article I came across, pic attached.
    What I don't want to do is end up where everybody is fishing for walleye. Also I don't know how wide and how big the river is in the areas he's talking about. Don't know if I can get my tracker boat into the river down there.
    So basically I'm looking for an area on the Maumee that's out of the way from the walleye guys and deep enough where I can get a boat in.
    it's about an hour and 15 minutes from where I live so I'd like to go down there in the spring when the sheepshead come into the river. Appreciate any info
    Screenshot_20200804-153932.png

4. loomis82

loomis82

If looking to fish from a boat launch at maple Street in Perrysburg. Go down stream to the turnpike Bridge (1st bridge). Anywhere around there both sides of river and everywhere in between. No need to wait for spring they are thick in there all summer and fall. Water is deep from that launch on down river. If you head up river and don't know the river your prop will not have a good day!

5. Gstan1

Gstan1

Thanks, found the launch and bridge on the map.
    If I do wait until spring is that a hot spot for the walley guys?
    Also, I jig blade baits or use shrimp or worms on the bottom. Any other ideas for bait?

6. loomis82

loomis82

No worrying about walleye guys down there. Want the water flow at 582 or lower check maumee tackle for heights. Anything higher can get dangerous if your not experienced debris coming down and strong current. Just use worms and or minnows on the bottom. Summer and early fall are best but late spring you'll catch some

7. Gstan1

Gstan1

So 580 for flow? That's pretty low for a large river.
    How about height?
    I always thought they come into the river in spring them leave in summer. Guess I was wrong.
    Approximate depth of the river?
    Appreciate all the info.

8. loomis82

loomis82

They are in the river all year long. 582 is feet above sea level. For depth from that launch to the bridge you'll have 6ft at least for depth

9. roger23

roger23

Button wood catfish and some sheep head. here is what happens .when you don't catch the first fish.Glad I did not go 954518 John.jpg

Divers Down likes this.
  10. bwlodkowski

bwlodkowski

While we're here, any tips on smallmouth in the maumee?

11. loomis82

loomis82

From maumee pburg Bridge on up. My favorite is top water no snags and bigger fish. Not as many fish but more fun. And shallow cranks, roostertails, 1/8 and 1/16oz jigs three and two inch white chartreuse twisters shad bodies. Cover lots of water dont just sit one spot. Evenings and morning are usually best but can catch all day

12. Lago

Lago

You can launch at least Walbridge park in South Toledo and go up or down river from there quite a ways in both directions and catch sheepshead until your arms fall off. And the waters deep enough you don't have to worry about your prop. Also some monster cats. I'm on the river almost daily and see fish all over the place. I only ever really fish it in the spring for walleyes though.