Mass deer cull planning in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Groundsize, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Groundsize

Groundsize

2. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Collusion with insurance companies.

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Reminds me of the ash borer fiasco .Millions spent for naught when anyone with any sense knew you cannot stop bugs .Contracters were happy though for a few years .Sharp shooters are sure to be employed for many years to come .Got a letter from our DNR they want to come and kill all the deer around my area .Cold day in hell i would let them or most of my neighbors but all it would take is a couple landowners to give them permission and bye bye deer hunting for us on our own property .

Forest Meister likes this.
  4. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Why? My guess is the reason for the cull is that scientific literature indicates that this is the only successful intervention to date shown to slow the spread of CWD.
    Hunters were given the chance with increased tags, but to no avail.
    Basically, all you have is a lose-lose situation with CWD.
    <----<<<

rork, motdean and "Big Tuna" like this.
  5. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

I have to kind of agree with joe on this one. The Dnr here and there told hunters they wanted lower populations. The Dnr here and there offered additional tags to lower the population and avoid the use of sharp shooters. Hunters didnt deliver. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the step up sharp shooting efforts in michigan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

motdean likes this.
  6. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Natural Resource agencies can increase tags exponentially but from what I have seen TIME afield seems to be the limiting factor when it comes to success or increased success for most hunters. I would also suspect that if the Sharp Shooters were competing with licensed hunters under the same restriction that hunters must abide by it would surely take many thousands of them to kill the deer numbers stated in the article. As hunters, I am sure they are not any better than the average license holder. Their success rate is artificially inflated because they can ply their trade almost any time of year, at night, with virtually unlimited bait, and often times in areas where state licensed hunters are banned or hamstrung with archery restrictions.

Untie the hands of the licensed hunters. With the same tools as professional "hunters" use I believe they could put a serious dent in most areas where populations deed to be reduced $.02. FM

7. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I tried to tell them Pennsylvanians that MAPRs was a bad idea.

Everyone in a cwd area needs a plan B. Mine is sell to a farmer & buy in Ohio.

LG1, remcorebond and motdean like this.
  8. jimlin13

jimlin13

didn't they just come out with a video saying they found a cure for cwd.oh I guess they did.

9. jimlin13

jimlin13

didn't they just come out with a video saying they found a cure for cwd.oh I guess they did.

10. Groundsize

Groundsize

But you dam well know it it will be in Ohio if it’s not already. Just eat the deer no case every of a jump from deer to human. I’ve probably ate a few already and so has many on this site.

Scout 2 and jimlin13 like this.
  11. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Im not worried about eating it. I worry about our dnr bringing sharp shooters to my neighborhood

Sparky23 and Groundsize like this.
  12. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Its definitely in ohio

Sparky23 likes this.
  13. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

I'd like to see an example of where it was shown to slow the spread. Please provide at least one example. Thanks, and good luck finding that example.

remcorebond, Sparky23 and Groundsize like this.
  14. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Just do a literature search on Pubmed for review articles on CWD...
    <----<<<

15. Waif

Waif

Owww. My head...

[Adaptive management is an iterative process in which we are ‘... learning to manage by managing to learn’ (Stankey, Clark & Bormann 2005) by using modelling to integrate existing interdisciplinary experience and scientific information for predicting impacts of alternative policies (Walters & Holling 1990)]
    (From:)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695855/