Mannlicher and Steyr value

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by C20chris, Feb 24, 2020.

1. C20chris

C20chris

I am trying to help an older gentleman gain a better understanding of the age and value of 3 different German guns. All with period correct scopes. They were his and his wife's father's firearms. Really neat set (and stories) Looking for somebody that is well versed in these types of firearms that may be able help.

Chris View attachment 495523 20191230_112938.jpeg 20191230_112947.jpeg 20191230_112950.jpeg 20191230_113026.jpeg 20191230_113029.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. 10x25mm

10x25mm

The first firearm is a pre WW II German drilling. Its value will depend upon the maker, its calibers, and its detail condition.

The second firearm is a pre WW II German sporter built on a military Model 98 Mauser military action. Again, its value will depend upon the maker, its caliber, and its detail condition.

3. C20chris

C20chris

There is 3 he is looking into. One Steyr 9.3x62, a Mannlicher 5.6x52, and the drilling gun is a Thieme & Schlegelmilch 12 gauge and 9.3x72R. I am looking for somebody that can help distinguish age from the serial numbers (if possible) and of course ball park value.

4. 10x25mm

10x25mm

Thieme & Schlegelmilch disappeared at the end of WW II, but ended sporting firearms production early in the war. It had been reorganized in the mid 1930's, when its name was changed to Nimrod Gewehrfabrik - Thieme & Schlegelmilch. Its records were lost at the end of the war (Suhl was in the Russian Sector of Germany), but you can get some idea of the date of production from the proof marks stamped on this drilling.

The second rifle shown is not a Mannlicher-Schoenauer, but a converted military Model 98 Mauser. Firma Steyr did produce military Model 98 Mauser rifles under various contracts to Mauser from 1912 on. Steyr military rifles made before the Anschluss were marked with the Steyr name, afterwards with one of Steyr's various German military identification codes. Again, you can get some idea of the date of conversion from the proof marks stamped on this rifle. German and Austrian gunsmiths were required to submit rebarreled rifles to the proof house before the firearm could be sold, but were not required to stamp their own name on such conversions.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Just a heads up: To have the rifle scope claw mounts installed on a rifle like the one on yours would run about $1500.00. To fit suitable rings to an existing mount - $725.00 and the rings would run about $875.00. "The German claw mount is possibly the finest detachable scope mount ever created...", From : New England Custom Gun Service. Ltd.

Individual rings are fitted to individual claw mounts - they are not interchangeable. Get an appraisal from someone who is used to dealing with rifles like yours. Hope this helps.

9mm Hi-Power

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Gil Martin and Tilden Hunter like this.
  6. C20chris

C20chris

Appreciate the info! These rifles all have nice period correct optics that go with each rifle. They are all very accurate as well.

Is there an appraisal/gunsmith who is well versed enough in these types of guns to provide an accurate value and history?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  7. 9mm Hi-Power

Not that I know of offhand. You might try calling Jaqua's Fine Guns in Findlay, OH as a starting point. I would think that no one is going to give you an appraisal without a first hand look at the firearms and their accessories. And I suspect they are going to charge you for it unless you either sell everything to them or agree for them to sell it on consignment or auction the firearms. Also Rock Island Auctions auctions and sells on consignment a lot of high end firearms. Give them a call - it's free. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

9mm Hi-Power

8. C20chris

C20chris

Completely understand everything said here and that nothing is free. No problem paying for an appraisal service (that actually knows and isn't guessing) but you never know where you may find an enthusiast either... I was hoping to find someone a little closer to the northern michigan.

I am not certain as to the owners intentions with the firearms, but do not believe any agreement to sell/auction would be acceptable. I have an interest myself if he chooses to sell. The stories he told that go with them are truly incredible and I have known the family for a long time.

9. 9mm Hi-Power

You might give Fieldsport Ltd. in Traverse City a call. Out of idle curiosity I called them and they will provide a written appraisal for $95.00 per firearm.

9mm Hi-Power

C20chris likes this.
  10. C20chris

C20chris

I should have thought about Fieldsport... I associate those guys with high end shotguns and shooting instruction never even crossed my mind for this... Appreciate it!