Manistique

Discussion in 'Icefishing UP inland lakes and big lake bays' started by 08pathei, Jan 26, 2018.

1. 08pathei

08pathei

Hope all is well.

Friend and I are taking our first ice fishing trip to the up (hopefully to be an annual trip)

We are both experienced ice fisherman.

We are staying on manastique lake (cooks bay)

My question is, how productive are north and south manistique lakes? Is it worth taking a journey one or two days off the main lake?

IMG_0133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. jvgoofy

jvgoofy

I prefer south over big. Big is not bad o just seem to catch more Walleye in south

08pathei likes this.

3. 08pathei

08pathei

Was thinking about trying off the end of that point mid lake and also around that basin in the north end. Thoughts?

4. 08pathei

08pathei

5. rippin lip

rippin lip

Both of those spots are good starting points, fish the weed edges in the morning and sundown. I've always done best on tip ups. The big lake is hard to fish, fish the break lines in 10' in the morning or sundown. Good luck

08pathei likes this.
  6. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

I’ve never done much off the point west of your mark not saying you can’t just not me. It’s a rock long shallow point , the nw side of it off the drop off can be good. But the southern shore between gull is. The southern shore and from there east is a long weed patch , usually holds eyes and perch. That’s where I’d fish , bring tip ups. North lake can be good if you don’t mind worms in your fillets. Pm me if you need anymore info
    The big lake doesn’t fish to easy

08pathei likes this.
  7. 08pathei

08pathei

Gatorman, thanks for the info.

Rented a cabin on cooks bay for the last week of February.

I’ll be sure to pm you as the trip gets closer for more pointers. And definitely the week of to see if we can get on some good fishin

Tight lines

8. rippin lip

rippin lip

My group will be up the 21-25 of feb. we have stayed at pine bluff the last 10 years. I can show ya the ropes around there if you would like. I’m hoping there driving pick ups out on the big lake while we are there, nothing like watching for flags with your headlights!

9. stonesfan83

stonesfan83

I'm heading up there to fish the next couple days with a few guys. Anyone get any fresh info thanks in advance

10. jaypluggin

jaypluggin

We fished the big lake today. Three groups all the way across the lake, 9’ - 16’. My group was the deeper group and we lost one pike, not another bite or Fish on the screen. Couple small perch and that was it. I’m looking for advice also. Ice is at least a foot and a half thick and snow covered. Thinking about round tomorrow.

Bigdaddysass likes this.
  11. 08pathei

08pathei

Dang tough day

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

12. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Did you try the southern shore? From Dnr launch east 7-10 fow is usually decent or out from birch shores on the east end. Do you guys have sleds jay? If you do pm me and I can give you some other lakes to fish but they are off seasonal roads and you’ll need sleds I’d guess? I’m not sure on amouth of snow up there. Try the north lk if you want perch but sometimes a lot can have worms but they are big.

13. rippin lip

rippin lip

We stopped fishing round lake a few years back because of the worms and grubs in the perch. We did catch some dandy’s though. Biggest eye we’ve gotten up there came out of round, 25”.
    Never caught an eye durning the day up there. When the suns coming over the trees in the morning and when the suns going over the trees in the West at night is gator time up there.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  14. rippin lip

rippin lip

Did you see any trucks out on the ice? Any slush?

15. jaypluggin

jaypluggin

We do have sleds but not enough, we have to sled pool to get out to the spots. Our plan today was to try round lake. This group is not a bunch of early risers.