Manistee River Walleye

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Ferd, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Ferd

Ferd

My dad has been fishing the Manistee river for years and caught plenty of walleye, but this is by far his biggest. Almost 31" and 9#

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. fisheater

fisheater

I have a friend with a place in Wellston, and usually have a Manistee trip a year. While I know there are walleye in the river, are there enough walleye to target? Thanks, my friend and his local friends are big trout guys, they catch lots of trout, but don't chase the eyes. Great Fish!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
    Steve likes this.

3. Ferd

Ferd

That's all he fishes for there. Always dragging crawler harnesses. He catches smallies and pike that way too.

4. fisheater

fisheater

Thanks, I never knew, but than again when I fish with my friend he only thinks about the trout

5. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

faHg!Tab0WtDaTrouT!

:lol: :lol:

6. GrizzlyAdams237

GrizzlyAdams237

7. hydra therapy

hydra therapy

That is an excellent catch. I am sure he was pleased to pull that into the boat.

8. MOTOMAN91

MOTOMAN91

NICE FISH!! JUST WONDERING IF HE PUT IT ON THE WALL, OR IN HIS BELLY? I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A 10#ER, BUT THAT ONE MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE ONE. I'M STILL KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT MOUNTING THE 9.5#ER I CAUGHT A COUPLE YEARS AGO. THEY AREN'T AS PLENTIFUL AS THEY WERE YEARS AGO, AT LEAST NOT FOR ME ANYWAYS! :banghead3

9. Ferd

Ferd

He is getting this one mounted. He's 73yo and it's the biggest walleye he's caught.

10. Michiganrecreational

Michiganrecreational

Caught today

Attached Files:

11. Michiganrecreational

Michiganrecreational

We did ok what part of The manistee does he fish?

12. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

I grew up on this body of water (within a few miles of it anyway) and cut my teeth with steelhead, trout, and many of the other offerings in the Manistee.

I can say this now as it has been years since I fished it or targeted it but, it was a secret to a select few indivuduals regarding walleye here. Obviously, the internet changes things some but back in the day, it was very secretive and un spoken of in most circles!

From Tippy down to high bridge, there are several places that hold walleye year round. This time of year however, the nite bite is fantastic from shore. F11 rapalas in standard colors have been great. A close second was bouncing a full crawler at dusk. Most of my casting was done after dark and would have many evenings in May with limit catches and some master anglers mixed in. Below the coffer is always a great place after dark as well as the hole down stream from the lower parking lot. I could tell you the names but I'm sure they have changed. The sawdust hole was another great place as was the rock pile just up river. Orange and gold, silver and black, and gold and black. Standard colors.

Directly below Hodenpyle is another great place. Both sides. There is a great hole on the Yuma side that has always yielded walleyes for me. F9's worked best for me. On the other side (Mesick side) that whole stretch by the dam has been good. Again, targeting at dark. Silver and black and Gold and black.

Above Hodenpyle, directly above Baxter bridge just below the first creek is a long sand flat. I caught my biggest upper river fish here. F5's is what we used. Above that is the sand hill and the stretch directly above the white water has produced limits for me as well. F5's again. Blue and pearl have been the best over the years in this area (not sure why).

13. fisheater

fisheater

Wicklundrh,
    Thank you for sharing, my friend has a place in Wellston. We have been talking about floating down from Hodenpyle. We know there is good fishing for little trout just downstream of the dam. I have not thought about Tippy to Highbridge. My friend doesn't handle paddling as well as he once did, but you have given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks again

Boardman Brookies likes this.
  14. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

I used to float from Hodenpyle to red bridge on many occasions. Number 4 panther martins with a yellow body and silver blade, all silver body and blade, black body and gold blade, and all gold body and blades. Depends on the day and light in the sky as to gold or silver. Great browns from the dam down to Slagle creek. As the water gets slower, there is great rainbow fishing.

About 1 mile above red bridge, the water gets slow. Great small mouth and pike fishing.

15. limige

limige

Fyi red bridge area is shut down this summer. They are Re doing the bridge. It is now closed to traffic

Sent from my SM-G920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

fisheater and wicklundrh like this.