Manistee Ramps

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by Layvon, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Layvon

Layvon

Looking to do some trolling tomorrow out of manistee. Do they keep a dock or two in at the launch near the mouth?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

2. Kisutch

Kisutch

There is one in the water. Mop up some Lakers for us all.

Kisutch

God Bless Dr Howard Tanner

Former Lake Michigan Stakeholder

Lake Michigan Lake Trout Gillnetters Association Join now

Alewife what?

3. Layvon

Layvon

Thanks. Planned on trying some beach trolling see if I can get some steelhead (or whatever else might be there ) beach trolling with body baits. Never fished out of manistee before see what I can come up with.

Bluegill Ike likes this.
  4. Layvon

Layvon

Confirmed. One dock in as of today

No fish.

Trolled mile north and a two miles south of river mouth zig zagging from 20-40'

5. Slimits

Slimits

Not even any lakers?!? Thats shocking honestly

6. Layvon

Layvon

Nope. I was trolling #14 jerks and #12 jerks with one deep bandit mixed in. 1.8mph. Figured Id adjust speed it something picked it up on a corner.

Tried darker colors tried chromes. Mudline was really tight like 1/8 mile out.

7. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Saw one nice Steelhead caught on the beach north of town today. After that, 12 lines in the water had zero hits for several hours. I haven't been out to the pier to really check in with many people since last weekend, but for me fishing miscellaneous odd beach spots here and there, nothing has been happening since last Sunday. Water now 45 degrees or so at the beach; was 42 in the channel a few days ago (personal thermometer checks). It all leaves me the impression that the cold snap in October accelerated the fishies' decision making, this year.

6667supersport likes this.
  8. Layvon

Layvon

10/4. I'll ear mark 45-50° water temps for next year. I am looking for gaps to fill from August to deer season. Should fit the bill. Had 44 and change today.

Interesting the bite just quit that fast. Stinks for my case. Do they blow right through manistee lake and get into the river or do they stage in the lake for a while?

9. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

I happened to read Emil Dean's book on Steelhead recently and he discussed trolling Manistee Lake for them. But then from reading his book and what I remember of passing by his boat dock a whole lot, I believe he fished every. single. day. So he may have done that for variety as much as anything. But it did work or he wouldn't have written about it.

The second half of November around Manistee has been a challenge in looking at shore water. First we had a couple sequential "3 day blows" that did a good job of silting up the shore water real good. Things calmed down eventually and we had several days of calm &/or East winds.

The last couple days have been back to a more expected wind and wave pattern but the deep water off-shore is the coldest in the Lake right now. Overall I felt the fish have made their choices, all things considered, for now. Maybe a big ridge in the jet stream will appear above us in December, but it does look to be a La Niña year shaping up, so that seems doubtful.

10. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Today if you can fish the slack frog water protected by the pier in the corner of the beach it would be good. Did this once this year stayed off the pier as it was a soaker but walked out once rod had fish on it. Ice creepers of course. Hopefully the fair weather guys are done steelhead season about to begin

11. surfstalker

surfstalker

I'm debating, but might be there Thursday or Friday.