Mako Boats 21' LTS - Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Stephen, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Stephen

Stephen

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Mako LTS 21' for use on LSC as well as my some larger lakes up north. On LSC and the rivers will be using it for jigging walleye, casting for musky/sm mouth, and fly fishing for all of the above. I was hoping someone had experience with Mako boats in general and possibly with this model. I've heard mixed reviews about the boat quality as well as the Mercury outboards they come stock with. I know there are better brands but I really can't afford a Pathfinder or Ranger bay boat.

If I do buy one the options are 150hp and 200hp. I can't see a reason to pay the extra $$$ for a 200 hp but as this will be my first non aluminum boat so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!!
    Steve

2. Sublime505

Sublime505

I’m in a similar position.

Have you looked at Carolina Skiffs DLX or SWS?

3. Stephen

Stephen

No. I've looked at some of the pricier brands of bay boats but have not looked at Carolina Skiffs yet.

4. Gater DONE

Gater DONE

Mako is a brand that most will say Bass pro ruined when they bought them out. Yes they did cheapen the construction and they don't have the highest fit n finish vs other brand boats.

But as bad as the salt water fourms will throw mako under the bus you don't see much for any issues posted by actual owners. I would suggest looking on Facebook for a mako boat group and see if there are any issues that pop up on there, even make a post asking about them. I'm sure you will get some replies.

As far as Mercury's go I wouldn't be scared of them at all, the modern 4 strokes have proven very reliable from all brands. Some people have bad memories of the 1st generation direct injection 2 strokes from 20 years ago. But all brands of those 1st gen di 2 strokes liked to go boom.

5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I wouldnt touch a Mako produced after Johnny Morris got his grubby little booger hooks on them. I have seen serious structural issues in some since BPS destroyed the brand. I also saw a CC crack all the way through from a bump off a dock that wouldnt even mar the rub rail on any other boat.

Look at a Robalo, by the time you properly power a BPS package, (BPS is notorious for offering underpowered packages to get you looking) and properly equip the boat, it would cost the same as upgrading a BPS package, and you would have a better boat with much greater residual value.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Shoeman, milanmark and gunfun13 like this.
  6. tailgunner

tailgunner

You will never regret the larger motor, but you could regret the smaller. That 150 , in my opinion, is a bit on the underpowered side . Put three guys coolers , etc, and a full tank of gas , it very well could be. One or two guys, your ok. Plus it will be easier to sell with the 200.

7. Stephen

Stephen

No. I've looked at some of the pricier brands of bay boats but have not looked at Carolina Skiffs yet.

8. Stephen

Stephen

Thanks for the feedback. Great advice on the motor. I may start looking at the used market to upgrade to a higher quality manufacturer.

9. Gater DONE

Gater DONE

You will find that used prices will be not far off from New prices due to covid production delays and everyone getting into boating. But may get lucky now before winter with someone trying to sell before putting into storage.

10. Slimshady

Slimshady

I agree with the advice on the motor. Never under-power a boat, as it will kill you on the resale. As far as Mako is concerned, I don't really have any experience with them, but some of their other brands (Tracker and Nitro) don't have the best track record. These lakes put a beating on all boats. Especially LSC with all the boat wakes. The number 1 criteria for buying a boat around here should be how well built the boat is structurally. You might pay a bit more at the outset, but you will likely get it back at resale. Not to mention the peace of mind.

Stephen likes this.
  11. KI Jim

KI Jim

Older Makos were awesome boats, but as has been commented they have been cheapened considerably. I have been impressed by Polar Craft and also Key West. Seems like a lot of quality for the money. Carolina Skiffs are nice but tend to ride wet. I have a Mercury engine on my Lund Tyee (a 125 hp 2001 model 2 stroke) and it has been bulletproof. 19 years of use and has never been in the shop for anything but routine maintenance.

Stephen likes this.
  12. Slimshady

Slimshady

I had a Mercury 200 on my Champion and a 200 Yami on my Lund. Both were great, but the Yamaha is much quieter and more fuel efficient. Not a fair compare, because the Merc was a 2-stroke. The only issue I had with the Merc was an alarm that kept going off, but only when it was hot. It turns out that the previous owner had work done and they pinched a wire. It only shorted when it was hot. I had to replace a power trim seal on the Yami, but that was it.