Making your own Wicked Lures?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by sgc, Oct 9, 2020.

1. sgc

sgc

Has anyone tried making their own Wicked Trout Killer lures? I'm wondering where, for example, the fused beads come from and what type skirt it has: ie. squid skirt?

2. sgc

sgc

Is there a glue to fuse beads together?

3. piketroller

piketroller

I think you are talking about something called a “stack bead.”

4. sgc

sgc

A stack bead, yes, thats it, thanks! Now, I'm wondering what type skirt they use. It looks similar to a squid skirt.

5. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

If you look on the amazon description it gives you the line test, blade size, and hook size. That should be a really good start. I thought about making my own but I like to support the owner James b. He has went out of his way for me to be successful. Also a side note if you add a slow death hook they are good for walleye. Pike will murder the king killer size. When I was fishing the pike out of my pond the wicked lure had the best hit ratio compared to every lure in the book on pike.

another good resource on here for squid style spinners is @PunyTrout . He can weigh in a lot on these squid spinners. He sent me a weighted one that I used in Canada and worked well on brookies.

6. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

@sgc One thing I'll add is if you're interested in ordering squid bodies, use search terms in centimeters rather than inches. You'll get results that are much higher up the proverbial food chain from the Chinese factories that are making them for sale outside of the US markets.

Here is one such example:

https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/32628088284.html

Hopefully this helps point you in the right direction.

tincanary likes this.
  7. sgc

sgc

Thanks. Are squid bodies what Wicked Lures use then; that wasn't really confirmed.

8. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

In a general sense, yes. From what I've seen the bodies look like squid bodies to me with slightly different eyes. However, they might use something that they make or have made for them to their own specifications.

I've never held or fished one of their lures so I cannot really give you a definitive answer.

Here's a relatively awkward picture of one of the squid spinners that I make:

M-S 10102020 squid spinner .jpg

I usually fish these in lakes or rivers for trout and walleye.

Speaking of which, I was going to make a few for another member here on M-S.

I should get busy making some more.

-db-, Zkovach1175 and sgc like this.
  9. sgc

sgc

10. Zkovach1175

did you fish with the wickeds yet?

11. tincanary

tincanary

AliExpress is a great site for DIY fishing gear. I've bought quite a bit from there the last year. It can be hit or miss on how fast you get your order, but I've never had one lost. I got every one of them, regardless if it was a 2 week or 2 month wait lol

12. sgc

sgc

Not yet. Didnt get the chance to get my boat out to the lake with all the rain and now i put it away. I plan on trying some river casting fishing in a week or two and thought i'd try it there, but it may be more of a pike fishery.

13. Zkovach1175

I’ll be casting it for the first time in the Clinton shortly for steelhead. Watch this for setup and casting instructions. Only the first couple minutes. Also pike murder that lure. I fished all the pike outta my pond and they would hit that lure when nothing else worked.

sgc likes this.
  14. tincanary

tincanary

Zkovach1175 and sgc like this.
  15. sgc

sgc

Thanks