close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making Venison Snack sticks

Discussion in 'Cooking and Brewing' started by Rancid Crabtree, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Next to jerky, snack sticks are the family favorite. Here I will show how I make a 30 pound batch of snack sticks or hot sticks. I start with 80%lean venison and 20% pork trim.
    [​IMG]

I ground the venison first as the fat has a tendency to clog up the grinder

[​IMG]

I mixed the two together by hand and then added the water and spices. I use LEM brand seasonings packets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After mixing the seasonings with the meat I ground it again using a finer hole plate and then packed it away in the cooler overnight to cure. This morning Josh and I stuffed the casings with the cured meat.

[​IMG]

Each smoke stick holds around 15 or 16 links that are a total of 52 inches long each. (I should have smiled for this picture) ;D

[​IMG]

I preheated the smoker to 125F and hung the sticks at 11:00 am. I spread the sticks in the middle so I get good air flow.

[​IMG]

Adding that much cold meat to the smoke brings the temp down to about 115F which is a good starting temp. I will keep them at this temp for about 2 hours. After the 2 hour drying time, I add hickory chips to make a heavy smoke.

[​IMG]

After 5 ½ hours the temp is at 150F and I keep them there until the internal meat temp reaches 165F. I then take them from the smoker and let them cool at room temps. When cool, I put them in the fridg.

After a night in the cooler, I cut them to size I saved a bunch for the family to eat and sealed the rest in about 1/2 pound packs or 12 sticks per pack. This is the point when the scavengers start to show up.

[​IMG]

It really does not look like much for all the hard work.
    [​IMG]

2. jbaxter99

jbaxter99

Your post was absolutely awesome for someone like me who grinds and extrudes ALL his vension into basic jerky strips but want to get into making the "snack sticks".

I noticed from the pictures it looks like your smoke may be homemade? And is powered by just two hotplates?

I would treasure any info and especially pictures of your smoker so I can build one myself and begin making snake sticks.

Thanks in advance.

3. Spanky

Spanky Retired

After 5 ½ hours the temp is at 150F and I keep them there until the internal meat temp reaches 165F. I then take them from the smoker and let them cool at room temps. When cool, I put them in the fridg.Quote:

How do you get them to 165? what is the actual temp in the smoker at this point?

Good lookin batch. Nice to have a helper too!:)

4. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

I close the damper to retain the heat, I suppose, I am getting up to the 180F range.

5. glnmiller

glnmiller

Great job RC, I bet those taste great.

6. jbaxter99

jbaxter99

Can you please post some pictures of your smoker to give us an idea of what looks to be ideal for smoking snack sticks? Thanks.

7. WILDCATWICK

WILDCATWICK

That was a great tutorial! They looked absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing :)