Make sure your Vitamin D level is adequate

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by StevenJ, Oct 29, 2020.

1. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

No. He is an MD.

Ieatshrooms likes this.
  2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I have heard of taking calcium supplements to aid in vitamin D absorption.

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

The VA checks vitamin and mineral levels on a regular basis. I have been on potassium, and D for a very long time, by order of my primary care DR.

4. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Please don't. :lol:

5. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

jiggin is livin and Oldgrandman like this.
  6. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

I heard the overall prevalence rate of vitamin D deficiency was 41.6%, with the highest rate seen in blacks (82.1%), followed by Hispanics (69.2%).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21310306/

It's the other way around.

Vitamin D aids in Calcium absorption.

Dietary fat aids Vitamin D absorption.

jiggin is livin, DanSS26 and ESOX like this.
  7. Fishndude

Fishndude

My doctor prescribed Vit D for me, some years ago. Apparently my levels were really low. I take 50,000 units once/week, and supplement with 5,000 units daily. And my levels have been normal with this, for several years. I have no inclination to stop taking it right now.

How have your levels been since the Dr advised you to start taking Vit D supplements, years ago, Jimbo? Mine jumped right up shortly after I started taking supplemental D.

8. knu2xs

knu2xs Canoeist Premium Member

Excellent thread!

Last year I had a vitamin D deficiency (found through blood test) and while doing some research on vitamin D learned just how important it is to how our body functions.

One thing I learned was that as we age our skin thins and our ability to produce vitamin D naturally is reduced.

So, even if someone has never had an issue for many years the potential for becoming deficient can increase as we get older.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  9. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Me to but the potassium scares the hell out of me as it can change very fast. It did on me and I am still working to get it back to normal

10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

Mine has been steady for a LONG time. It is one that can do you harm quickly. Just don't know a good solution.

Scout 2 likes this.
  11. Polkahero

Polkahero

My former PCP told me that you can't metabolize Vitamin D from the sun, only through supplementation. Same MD that told me Lyme Disease doesn't exist in Michigan after I had a positive test. I fired him a long time ago, lol.

I used to supplement 5,000 IUs per day until my levels got to around 90 so I backed off to around 3,000 IUs per day. Now they're in the 60 range which is ideal. Before I supplemented at all my level was only 29.

knu2xs likes this.
  12. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I saw some reports on this and made sure I had enough vitamin D stocked up before people went nuts and bought it all. I have a Vitamen D deficiency and take 10000UI a day, and spend a lot of time outdoors and my levels are still borderline OK when I get my blood work done.

13. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

Nice reminder, thanks. Last year my Vit D level was 13. The doc put me on supplements and after 2 months if jumped to 14. My prescription refills expired and I have blown it off. I'm an outdoor junkie and hit the woods/lake/river whenever possible. Despite the sun it probably doesn't do a lot of good when covered up due to cold, bugs or trying to avoid melanoma with long sleeves and hoodies.

14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I am not allowed to have vitamin C because it greatly increases iron absorption. I have an iron overload issue. I cant have juice or any type of citrus fruits. I am not sure if C improves other absorption like vitamin D but I would think it is plausible. My dr tells me if I eat an ocassional apple or fibrous type fruit for some C i can but try to avoid any iron completely on days i do.

I am also told tea and coffee is a blocker of iron absorption. Might block other vitamins?

15. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

That makes you want to donate blood at Red Cross, right?

LuckyBucks likes this.