Make sure your Vitamin D level is adequate

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by StevenJ, Oct 29, 2020.

1. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

The only way you can do this is with a blood test. And it should be done with your regular health check up without exception. Doctors do not usually order routine checks of vitamin D levels, unless you have a history or symptoms or are prone to osteoporosis (most men are not prone...).

Unless you are getting sunlight exposure 3x a week it is very difficult to have an adequate level. Very few foods have enough.

I saw two patients this past month that were having symptoms from low levels.

One patient had hair loss in his mid thirties and no family history of genetic male hair loss. He was an IT professional and busy working. A dark skinned Indian. He had a type of hair loss called Telogen Effluvium (rather dramatic quick loss due to medical conditions or trauma, like post partum hair loss in females 3 months after childbirth...). His Vitamin D level was super low at 11 ng/mL with no other factors in his history to account for this.

The second patient was on a regimen of Accutane (isotretinoin) which is a Vitamin A like medical course of therapy for severe acne. A month after being on it he had Strep Throat. Accutane has no adverse effect on immunity. When I saw him yesterday, he was complaining of fatigue. Also not a normal side effect of Accutane. He is a dark skinned Middle-Eastern heritage professional, a banker. No other causes of fatigue by history or medical reasons. His vitamin D came back @14 ng/mL, which would be the proximate cause of fatigue.

Normal levels should be 30 to 100 ng/mL.

Lack of vitamin D is not quite as obvious in adults. Signs and symptoms might include:

• Fatigue.
    • Bone pain.
    • Muscle weakness, muscle aches, or muscle cramps.
    • Mood changes, like depression.
    Vitamin D acts like a hormone and has quite a large effect on making sure the immune system is functioning properly. And as we've all heard in the news, a lot of the morbidity of Covid infected individuals was seen in patients with low Vitamin D levels. So in times of Covid, it is important not to be deficient in order to optimize immunity.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/15050-vitamin-d--vitamin-d-deficiency

jeffm, Stand By, puttputt and 18 others like this.
  2. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

B,C,D,E and zinc daily. Added the zinc recently as a preventive measure. Also cycle L-Arginine. I'm healthier than most and rarely suffer from any seasonal flu symptoms. Some say with a healthy diet and exercise it's not necessary but it isn't hurting...

JimP and bjacobs like this.

3. brewster

brewster Premium Member

What do you think are the best ways to get the vitamins so that they are the most usable for the body?

I get a lot of sunlight as I'm outdoors most of the day and drink several glasses of milk a day. I have taken multi-vitamins off and on as read sometimes that the pill vitamins often rinse out of the body.

4. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I've been taking D supplements ever since this Covid crap started. Read early on about its benefits if you get sick with Covid.

5. Botiz

Botiz

Is there any vitamin D supplement that is better than others or are they all essentially the same? As in just grab any bottle off the shelf, is a pill, liquid or gummy better or worse, etc.

brewster likes this.
  6. StevenJ

Vitamin D and A are fat soluble and get stored in the body all over.

My main point about Vitamin D is that you would never know if you are at or above adequate unless you get it checked by blood test. And you don't want to walk around these days less than adequate.

The B and C vitamins are water soluble and get pissed out. Those are best judged on whether you have a good variety in your diet. These are rarely checked with blood tests except for B12.

Pretty much any vitamin supplement is available to your body for use.

There is a lot of opinion in the medical community on whether one should take vitamins and whether it is worth it.

And there is the question of whether you are taking them needlessly.

But, my point is that you don't want to be deficient if you don't need to be.

Hat tip to Hubbhunter, Zinc is important in the time of Covid. And also, so is Selenium. It would be hard to know if you are getting too much or too little with those two. And so just google search what would be too much or too little.

HUBBHUNTER and vsmorgantown like this.
  7. StevenJ

Do you know what your Vitamin D blood level runs?

As far as I know they are all equivalent. But I haven't looked that up for sure.

With Vitamin D, the issue is how many units to take. Once again, this depends on your blood level and whether you are low, adequate or high.

800 or 2,000 or 5000 units a day (or every other day).

Vitamin D should be taken with food.

vsmorgantown likes this.
  8. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

Is there a risk of taking supplemental vit D in the absence of a documented low serum level? In other words, can it cause harm if you're not deficient?

vsmorgantown likes this.
  9. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Honestly not asking this to be a smartass but, are you asking this question for real or trying for an angle?

I know you are in the biz, but I am not sure if you have to be a Medical Professional to be Management. So I am honestly asking that, because I can read it both ways.

I wouldn't mind the answer to your question though.

10. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

Thanks for the info Steven. I spend a ton of time outdoors but with winter and gray days I feel as though I do need to start taking a D supplement at least seasonally. I currently take C, Zinc, Magnesium and Turmeric. But, I need to up my game and get some D and Selenium. Thanks again for the advice and thread.

Oldgrandman and brewster like this.
  11. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Have no idea what my blood level is. Just taking one 50mcg per day.

12. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I get all my blood levels tested once a moth for a health issue I have. Even though I get a lot f sun ( tanned like I lived south of the border) My Vit D levels ran low. They gave me something I take once a week to make my body use it like it is suppose to. What I have found is over the counter Vit D is not all the same. I had some that made my levels drop like a rock and they were the same strength as I had been taking. Changed brands and all was well.

brewster likes this.
  13. StevenJ

That's actually an excellent question.

Supplementation would be toxic if your blood levels are over 100 ng/mL.

And that would be nearly impossible to get to. Generally you don't want to take more than 4000 IU of Vitamin D per day. Some people take 5000 unit capsules, but don't generally take it ever day, perhaps every other day or two times per week.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  14. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

honest question. It's a lot easier to go out and buy OTC vit D, than it is to get the blood test. As such, I suspect there are a lot of people taking supplemental vit D in the absence of a documented deficiency.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  15. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

You are probably right. I haven't ever had a test. My wife has and her levels were low.