Maine trip

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by hunterrep, Aug 21, 2017.

1. hunterrep

hunterrep

Hey guys I'm resurrecting this old thread as my wife and I and another couple are making final plans to head to Maine. Likely will be in June.
    Just thought I would ask for other suggestions. All suggestions so far are noted and being considered. Thanks a bunch for all the advice.

2. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Don't just eat the two styles of blueberry pies you'll find there but get the recipes too. You'll be glad you did for decades.

How's that?

capper and hunterrep like this.

3. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

June through August plan on very slow traffic on the coastal route from the state line to Machias and Bangor to Bar Harbor.

4. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

Craig Brook hatchery and Kittery Trading post are mandatory stops for me.

capper likes this.
  5. Northernfisher

Northernfisher Premium Member

If you are a diver -TAKE YOUR DIVE GEAR. I dove out of York Years ago, tons to see.

Head back through Canada. You might even want to make a side trip to Montreal or Quebec City. Think about PEI and Nova Scotia. If you do go to the bell museum. (It is WAY better than the one in Branford)
    As far as food - go for the fish chowder and scallops- any can do lobster anywhere. Try the haddock.
    Years ago I went with my family and my dad talked one of the local fishermen into letting us ride along as me pulled his nets. I still remember that day.

6. Fishndude

Fishndude

If you enjoy eating Lobster, then eat a LOT of Lobster in ME. Every seaside town has a harbor, and each has a wharf with a Lobster Shack on it. You go in, choose your Lobs from tanks that segregate them by size, and watch as the Steward drops them into a boiling cauldron (yes, and actual cauldron) of water to cook. 4 minutes later, you have freshly cooked Lobster, wrapped in heavy paper to dine on. Most Lobster Shacks have some cheesy picnic tables outside, but we usually just found a spot on the seashore to dine on our fresh seafood.

Lobster is so cheap in ME that it really doesn't make sense to pay good money for other food, unless you are tired of Lobster.

I will agree that LL Bean's store in Freeport is a must-see. It is an institution.