main line

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by steelymike, Jul 19, 2006.

1. steelymike

steelymike

I recently picked up a center pin and have been playing around with trout and getting the casting down using an 8lb main line and lighter leads. I am trying to decide what line to put on it for steelheads and and the occasional salmon. my rod is rated for 4-8lb and i was thinking of putting 10lb main on it and run lighter leads off that but wanted to know if I should use a heavier main line like 12lb. thanks

2. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

really it depends on the line you are going to use...

if you are using the origanal siglon f i would say a minimum of 15lb test due to its weak nature in the lesser poundages...

so far with the siglon ff(reformulated line) my buddy kory has had no problems with the 10lb. breakage strength...

if you are going for kings and steelhead i would say a minimum of 10lb. mainline but 12lb. would be more realistic for kings...

the key to me is finding a line that has no spool memory...

examples of lines with little or no spool memory include mccoy mean green, trilene xl, optimum, ironsilk, siglon f, siglon ff, stren original, maxima ultragreen, and pline xtra limp...

if you are using the side cast method be prepared to change your line about once a month due to line twist and kinks...

didnt really account for that when i started and since have switched to a charged spool cast(i.e. wallis, or BC/spey overhead style)

hope info helps you out,

mark

3. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

I use Siglon FF and highly recommend it. Here is what I have noticed for Steelhead fishing with the two different line sizes. The 10 pound is a great Winter Steelheading line because I personally never go over a 6 pound leader in the winter. This summer I have been using the 12 pound and it does mend a little better at distances but for you being a beginner this line will not side cast as far as the 10 pound. If I was you I would learn how to BC cast as to me this would be the easiest cast to learn that casts the line with the spool spinning instead of taking it off the side of the spool. Make sure to get yourself some 14 gram floats to learn the BC cast. If you are fishing in a area where there is lots of snags for some Steelies to take you into use the 12 pound Siglon FF with 10 pound leader "if the fish will bite using that heavy of a leader". The choice between 10 or 12 pound basically just depends on where you fish. As for the Salmon I would go with at least 12 pound for your mainline...

4. gomer

gomer

Winchester, Virginia & Rockford, MI (Home)
    I would recommend something in the 12-15lb test range for mainline. There is no reason to go less than that unless you are using very small floats. I used a spool of siglon f 15lb for all last fall/winter and had no problem. I like to use 8lb minimum florocarbon for leader and if i can get away with it I will bump it up to even 12lb floro. I only had 1 breakoff with my mainline all winter.

However, I got a bigtime jangle with my siglon this spring and ended up cutting it all off and didn't have time to order some new siglon so I just grabbed a spool of 15lb cajun line and spooled it on. Actually, it worked great!

Like MP said, get some limp mono and I would suggest staying in the 12-15lb range, especially if you are going to be using it for kings.

5. deathroll

deathroll Guest

for starting out i would go with the lightest, limpest, and cheapest line you feel comfortable with. side casting creates lots of line twist - so the lighter and limper the line the longer you can practice with it before getting frustrated and starting over. also i would only put on 30 to 50 yds at a time so a spool will last awhile while learning. for steelhead fishing depending on the conditions i will use anywhere from 6lb (.007) to 12lb (.014) main line and fluro 3lb (.003) to 10lb (.011) leader, depending on the river and conditions. you need to pay attention to line dia. and make sure your main is thicker dia. than the lead. for salmon 15lb main to fluro 10lb or 12lb leader. try different lines everbody seems to have a different preference, MP listed alot of good ones to try out.

6. steelymike

steelymike

I have been doing the spinning side cast and i can get some good distance with that. I will most likely go with a 12lb main to start (either ultragreen or sufix) and that should be good to handle skams and kings with 8-10lb leads. i hope to get some time on the water this weekend to give it a go.