Made it to Shiawassee finally

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by fsamie1, Oct 14, 2020.

1. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

I hate you guys. Just before me, Picked river zone 16. Damn, I was going to pick 19 or 20 but did not want too drive 3 miles at 10 mph. Seems like upper river is just as good. I did write down zones taken. All near Miller road parking lot. Just woke up to go to Harsens for me punishment. Still fun.

upload_2020-10-15_3-0-27.png

2. craigrh13

craigrh13

look, I’m not trying to be a Dick. You need to take your first trip as a learning lesson. It took me years to figure out Shi. It’s a completely different animal than the other areas. You have to work a lot harder here. Once you figure it out though you’ll be set. You won’t really care about draw order because if you do your homework during the off-season and pay attention during season you’ll always have backup plans for backup plans.

3. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

if you constantly worry about what zones are picked and in what order...you will be chasing tail all season. good luck.

just an fyi, if you want to do good...start scouting/hunting...and paying attention. yesterday lessons = don't pick the field closest to the parking lot...now next time you go there, you narrowed down what NOT to pick and you can be closer to shooting birds.

Puddler-Hunter and AaronJohn like this.
  4. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Are they calling all parties at one time or are they calling say 10 at a time and getting them lined up and zone picked than calling the next ten parties?

5. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

Thanks for guidance. All those people with $3000 winch taking Prior road zones sure throw me off. Well, I am on bad luck streak for 2 years now, picked 85th out of 92 parties. Even parking lot was taken.:) Going to try PM draw this afternoon.

Horseshoe likes this.
  6. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

They pick the order all at once and announce it. Takes a little longer picking cards from tumbler. Then, they call 5 at a time so people can line up their vehicle and go through the barn to pick their zone. They always announce next 5. So, you really do not need to get out of he vehicle except to put in your filled in card in the tumbler.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  7. craigrh13

craigrh13

They announce the whole draw order. Then call 5 at a time. You have to pay attention and count cars. If you have a little bit of brains it’s easy to figure out. So far, it’s went smooth. I even apologized to Vic because I thought for sure it would be a bigger cluster f.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  8. deadduck365

deadduck365

Yep they filled all but 4 spots at harsens today. We should have went to Shiawassee.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  9. Ash

Ash

so if we have a winch we are not allowed to hunt prior? Lol most hunters there have winches. If we don’t draw into a spot that needs one it shouldn’t matter if we take it or not. Next time maybe you’ll stick around longer than 2 hours.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  10. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

there are more excuses flying in this thread than ducks in the refuge.

11. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

I was saying that being there first time and seeing 1st 10 picks taking Prior road made me think that is the area to be. For first 2 hours I saw 2 ducks not even high ones. that is my my limit for staying.

12. craigrh13

craigrh13

Prior always goes first. It’s that refuge mentality.

which way were you facing yesterday? Facing the north? If so, you were setup wrong. If for some reason anyone ever hunts 61 then you should backside it....regardless of the wind.

mornings are slow right now too. I wouldn’t even waste my time right now. Noon to the end is where it’s at.

13. lefty421

lefty421

624485378.jpg Shooting birds on the fed side today. Nice mixed bag. Mallards, teal, Gaddy, woodies so far.

14. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

I was facing the backhoe at the ramp, north. Can you PM me when mornings are better so I make 180 miles round trip? I never hunt parking lot zones again, I go to marsh or flooded timber.

15. craigrh13

craigrh13

I make a 150 mile round trip. It just is what it is at this point. I rarely like mornings ever.