Maceday Lake/Oakland Co

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Wannabe Angler, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Wannabe Angler

Wannabe Angler

Hitting up Maceday Lake this evening around 5pm w a buddy. First time on the lake for me - have read all I can find on the forums here about the lake. Looking for any input from someone that's been on the lake these past few weeks. Don't need spots, just general information on what we should target. I know in 2019 they planted 12k in there and do that every 2-3 years. Tight lines!

2. Layvon

Layvon

Whatcha searching for?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. Wannabe Angler

Wannabe Angler

We are generally bass fisherman but like to get on any species...were thinking about trying to get on some of the planted trout or splake. We fish out of a bass boat so don't really have set up with down rigs or trolling set up...I know the lake is one of deepest in area at points. Was thinking about rigging up a 3 way swivel with 3 oz and trailing a spoon or a hair jig tipped w a minnow? Sounds like maybe this time of year in hot weather might be 40-50 FOW but not sure. Or maybe just do a slip bobber set up w split and let it drop deep w a leech? Guess could also consider trolling the weed lines w a BB too. Really trying to get on anything fun. (except pike...too many of those lately!)

4. bmoffit

bmoffit

How’d you do??

5. michcats

michcats

If your going for bass troll floating rapalas maybe 100 yards from shore and follow the lake pattern and dont be scared of lotus i usually do real well on numbers

Wannabe Angler likes this.
  6. Wannabe Angler

Wannabe Angler

'BMoffit - Meehhhh...was OK. We ended up launching around 5pm. I had stopped by 'The Bait Shop' and picked up some shiners and leeches. The guys there are always super nice, they had some recommendations. The one fella (i should get their names), after I told him we wanted to get on some trout/splake, recommended a blade jig (2oz) which I bought too. We started out trying to get a better idea of the layout by mapping out the edges. Crazy how deep it gets in spots there so close to shore. Tried jigging a few spots we thought we were marking with no luck. To be fair, neither me nor my buddy are accomplished jig fisherman. After couple of hours with no luck doing deeper methods we basically switched up for bass. I had spent ~$20 on bait so didn't want to completely waste it all so did a bit of slip bobbing on my end while my buddy threw cranks. We started to catch bass on both methods. Fished a bit over on Lotus too but not really past that little island at the north end. No good size bass, all about 12-14". Also broke off the tip of one of my spinners which was a bummer but happens. Overall, an enjoyable evening either way. Some real nice houses on that lake like most in that area. Can't imagine living on a cool lake like that - now I get how they ended up naming the lake after Mason Day.

bmoffit likes this.
  7. michcats

michcats

Definatly cool lake but it dies get hammered with pressure i will still make a couple trips a year there both hard and soft water

8. bmoffit

bmoffit

Thanks for the report. We fished it this morning... what a beautiful lake.. we didn’t do good at all ... fish had lockjaw, but still better than a work day!!

9. Wannabe Angler

Wannabe Angler

Always better than working! Off to Lake Orion now for a tourney...only fishing gets me up this early.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

bmoffit likes this.
  10. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

Recent tournament didn't produce big weights. Bite might be tough now.

11. Wannabe Angler

Wannabe Angler

Yup, last weekend definitely struggled. No tourneys until Sept for me, pleasure fishing the next 10 days or so which I'm looking forward to (Vacay)! Muskegon SP - No boat, but some good pier/rock spots that I'll hit in early morns. That should help the slow bite!! :eek:o_O

Bigbass201 likes this.