Lure weights aren't always what they say on the package

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by tincanary, Jul 3, 2020.

1. tincanary

tincanary

I use a different grease on ultralight drags than I do other reels, it tends to slip easier which is what you want. I've had brand new reels have sticky drags right out of the box.

sureshot006 likes this.
  2. 50incher

50incher

Rough stuff for me, lol....I hate leaving lures hanging in fishes mouth's, just saying....but I don't disagree with the advantage's of lighter line....wish I lived closer to some good trout water as I love fishing for them....

tincanary and sureshot006 like this.

3. tincanary

tincanary

No way would I intentionally fish toothy critters on ultralight but sometimes they take a liking to the small jigs and crankbaits I like to use for panfish. Must be like a tictac to them lol

4. Trout King

Trout King

Hardware fishing there isn't usually a need to use super light lines. Just my opinion.

PS, it is also my opinion that Panther Martins have been cheap trash for the last few years. Crappy hooks, wire and half don't spin out of the box.

tincanary and PunyTrout like this.
  5. 7x57

7x57

Most of the difference can be attributed to the scale in my experience, how repeatable is it, consistent across the pan, probs doesn't matter for lures

tincanary likes this.
  6. tincanary

tincanary

The scale does give repeatable results. I weigh these just for the hell of it. My calibration weights are spot on.

7. tincanary

tincanary

It depends. Lighter line makes it easier to cast sub 1/16 baits on a baitcast reel. Since the spool is non stationary unlike a spinner, the more weight you can keep off the spool the better it will cast. This is true all across the board with that type of reel. A heavier spool is harder to turn with lighter baits. Remember, I don't use egg beaters lol

We should go fishing sometime, I'll let you use some of my ultralights you see me posting. They're a lot of fun, laser accurate, and will land a bait with the tiniest splash. I'm more than down, you're on my bucket list of people I want to fish with on this forum ;)

Trout King likes this.