Lure weights aren't always what they say on the package

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by tincanary, Jul 3, 2020.

1. tincanary

tincanary

Being that I started using baitcast reels to cast lighter baits. I thought it would be a good idea to weigh my various trout baits to see how they measure up. The lower limit on my ultralight reels is just under 1/16 oz, or 1.8g. Knowing the true weight of these baits gives me a better idea of how much braking force I may need; more brakes for the really light stuff and less for the rest. For those that don't know, 1/16 oz = 1.8g and 1/8 oz = 3.5g. Some of these baits weigh more than what's on the package, some are less, and some are spot on.

First, we have a 1/8 Little Cleo. As you can see, it measures more than 3.5g. I have a bunch of these and all measured between 4g and 4.4g. Lots of weight variation in these guys.
    littlecleo.jpg

Next up, we have the Panther Martin in 1/16. These are another bait that are pretty inconsistent with weights. Among the ones I have, the lightest was 2g and the heaviest 2.6g. That's pretty substantial.
    panthermartin2.jpg

Next up is a 1/8 Rooster Tail. I own many of these in both the 1/8 and 1/16 weights and they are by far the most consistent. Every single 1/8 Rooster Tail I own measures 3.5g to 3.6g and every 1/16 I own consistently weighs 1.8 to 1.9g. Good job Worden.
    roostertail.jpg

Next is a bait that's quickly becoming a favorite for me, the Eurotackle Z-Viber. These are tiny lipless crankbaits that work well either casting and retrieving or jigging. They're tiny little guys that are supposed to weigh 1/16, but all 5 of mine weigh less by a wee bit.
    zviber.jpg

And finally, my favorite tiny crankbait, the Yo-Zuri Snap Bean. These are also killer for trout and very consistent in weight. All 4 of those that I own come in right around 1.8g, just as the package says.
    snapbean.jpg

As we can see, some baits can have inconsistent weights. Maybe some of those I had were made on a Monday or Friday, or companies like Acme and Panther Martin weigh their products differently. Maybe Panther Martin only weighs the body itself not including the spinner, hook, and wire. Maybe Acme just weighs the spoon blank sans hook and split rings. Who knows, but it was an interesting experiment. In the end, I'd rather a lure weigh a little more than it's rating than less. No wonder those Little Cleos can cast a mile.

Sprytle, 50incher and -db- like this.
  2. piketroller

piketroller

Get out your micrometer and measure the thickness of the cleos and the blades on the martins. I would guess variation in thickness of the stock material is the likely culprit.

6Speed and tincanary like this.

3. tincanary

tincanary

Good idea. I'm not complaining too much about the variation, but I'll get out the micrometer tonight when I get home from work and have a look.

4. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Is there a weight difference on those Little Cleo's when you consider their varied colors or paint schemes? I would assume that the "glow" baits would be slightly more.

tincanary likes this.
  5. tincanary

tincanary

Funny enough, my silver, gold, and copper Cleos are the heavier ones that I own. I'm sure it's the thickness of the blank like piketroller says.

6. U D

U D

Don't discount the variances in the hardware at these low overall weights. Split rings and hooks can vary too.
    It would be interesting to see what spectrum of the weight scale actually catches the most fish for any given lure?

tincanary likes this.
  7. tincanary

tincanary

I've had great success fishing the Snap Beans, trout love them. You fish them just as you would a Rapala Countdown. I've also found that smaller baits tend to work best in highly pressured waters. I have another reel on the way that I want to tune to the point it will cast a 1g trout magnet, but I also need a rod that will load correctly throwing such small bait. Thinking I'll pair that with a 5' or so SUL (super ultralight).

8. piketroller

piketroller

What are you going to use for line with a 1g lure? Might have to unbraid some power pro and use a single strand.

sureshot006 likes this.
  9. tincanary

tincanary

1lb Maxima.

10. 50incher

50incher

Dang!, that super light line makes me nervous, lol....don't think I've fished with anything less than 4 lb....& that was ice fishing....whatever you do, don't snag up, lol !....I like it....cheers....

sureshot006 likes this.
  11. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Or set the hook!

tincanary likes this.
  12. tincanary

tincanary

I just do a quick snap of the wrist. That 1lb should work well assuming the drag is working as it should.

sureshot006 likes this.
  13. sureshot006

Yea I've never had the confidence to use 1# or even 2#. 4 is as low as I go.

Now, if I often chased pressured bull gills, I'd probably go 2#.

14. tincanary

tincanary

The key to light line is a more moderate action rod. You want something that bends from tip to butt since the rod will be doing more work than the line. I exclusively fished ultralight for a couple of years and landed some fish that would've been more ideally matched to a medium or even medium heavy. Pulled nice hammer handles, some good sized sheephead, and many bass up to 2 or 3lb. I tend to hook into sheephead when the water is chocolate milk on the trout streams. I'm curious to see how the 1lb will hold up, never had much of an issue with 2 and 4 as long as my drag was working right.

sureshot006 likes this.
  15. sureshot006

Thats the thing, "as long as "... but yeah light line has its advantages for sure!

tincanary likes this.