Lund Alaskan 1800 vs Starcraft Freedom 180

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Buckshot556, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Radar

Radar

Kicker is always a must for back-up when on big lakes or saginaw bay. Don't leave home without one. Put a Terrova on the front and put the batteries under the right side gunnels and the charger under the right side storage compartment. Been using mine for a decade and troll all day. Have the same Optima blue tops i bought 7 years ago. Steering wheels on that boat only take up space. Get the tiller model. And get the e-tec..the only thing the 4-stroke mercs they put on them are good for are boat anchors.

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  2. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

I know nothing about trolling motors. Why is the dealer talking in pounds of thrust an you're talking in volts? Please help my dumb ass understand lol

3. lastflight

lastflight

I have an 80lb 24V Terrova on my 21' tiller. If I am pulling harnesses or slow trolling cranks in cold water I can troll all day with the electric (with the wind.) If I am pulling cranks in warm water or spoons I troll with my big motor which is a 90 Mercury 4-stroke. My outboard has digital RPM control and I can dial in to the tenth-MPH and get down under 2 MPH if I want to. This motor also has no issue with a full duck load of 100 magnum divers, blind, 5 guys, dog, and gear.

4. Zofchak

Zofchak

The 70-80lb thrust motors are generally 24v (Require (2) 12v batteries). When you move up to the higher thrust motors (100-110lb) they step the voltage up to 36V which requires (3) 12v batteries.

5. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Both if you can, but if not I would go for the kicker for reasons stated above. It can get you home if you get in a bind.

6. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

Trying to steer a tiller by yourself and set rods is a PITA. Slap a gps enables troller on the front and don’t look back. Point it in a direction and ignore it while you set rods, etc...

BFG and Jimbos like this.
  7. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

What should one expect to pay for a brand new 18'-20' Lund or Starcraft side console with 115hp evinrude, trailer, fish finder and trolling motor?

I was expecting to be in the teens, but I'm closer to $30k!!! Looks like I'm goin used

8. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

Check out Detroit Craiglist for Lund 1875 Pro guide he was down to 21,000. Tiller steer with a 90 merc. fourstroke. It is 18'10" and has a 92" beam.

9. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

For a 20’ Lund tiller, galvanized Roller trailer and 90 Yamaha 4 stroke I was in 22k. I put in a lot of legwork to bring it down to that and probably got close to 5k off what most pay. Add another 1k for gps and another 1.5k for trolling motor. If your not willing to do the leg work I’d say 28-30k

Don’t know the cost difference in a 115 and 90, but with a loaded boat I get 37mph. I don’t think it is worth any addition $ to go any faster than that

10. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

I paid $25K for my 21' Polarkraft with 90 yam tiller, terova, HD5 FF, and dual axle trailer 4 years ago.
    Exact same options only swap the Polarkraft for 20' lund Alaskan and I would have paid $32K
    I couldn't justify the 7K difference.

11. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    Look at "walleye boats for sale" on Facebook, that should give you an idea on prices, there's also alot of electronic equipment, and there's a 36v Terrova I-pilot for a reasonable price.

Buy the way, that Craigslist add in post #4 is from Maple Bay Marina that is a top notch place to deal with.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  12. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

I'm actually headed up to maple bay marine next week lol. I think the Starcraft dealer is trying to take me for a ride

13. The Doob

The Doob

I am a Lund Man (2), Tiller man (2) and Yamaha man (3). If it is going to be used for waterfowling, definitely a tiller as maneuvering around decoys is much easier/safer. I love trolling with the electric for aesthetic reasons as much as anything - quiet and peaceful. It has also saved me a ton of money on fuel and hours on my big engine.
    A trolling motor as a back up makes a lot of sense as well, definitely get one if you buy Mercury because you'll need it. Buy a Yamaha and then all you'll have to buy is the electric ;)

Wall-llard Willie likes this.
  14. Radar

Radar

The guys at Maple Bay are great. I bought mine from Bay Outboard Marine who IMO are also great. 9 years ago I was in the same range as TSS Caddis. Pretty sure I'm putting mine up for sale after duck season this year. So if you wait a few months you can have a well-broken in one with all the fixens including removable cedar blind for around $11,500.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  15. Handliner84

Handliner84

I have the 20 ft lund Alaskan and love it to death. I put a 9.9 pro kicker on mine and don't use it very offen as I find the trolling motor does the job