Lund Alaskan 1800 vs Starcraft Freedom 180

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Buckshot556, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

Well I'm finally ready to take the plunge and buy a duck hunting/fishing boat. Looking at the two subject boats right now, side console setups. I'll be hunting and fishing primarily Mullet/Burt and the surround lakes up there and occasionally Saginaw bay and lake St Clair. Anybody have experience with either of these? I'm looking at new models, max hp, and maybe a kicker for trolling eyeballs.

Help me decide

2. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

i bought a 2016 lund alaskan 1800, camo, 90hp - side windshield (btw, i have a brand new one for sale). have it on harsens island. incredible boat, everything i could ask for for ducks on the bay, walleyes and smallmouth. i have everything i need in the way of gear stored in the boat (3 types of walleye methods, bass and walleye rods, marker buoys, tools, anchors, maps...), and you do not see one thing in the boat. perfect storage! handles well, 34mph, floor does not get very dirty, huge livewell... for ducks, guns fit perfectly in the rod holders, tons of decoys in the bow leaves room for 4-5 guys to sit comfortably, only needs 1.5 foot of water, hides easily in phragmites..... i could not ask for anything better!

3. Divers Down

Divers Down

Lund, no question...

jumbojake, ESOX and 6Speed like this.
  4. lastflight

lastflight

I looked hard at both of these boats when I was in the market a couple years ago. The layout and hull design are very similar. The Freedom is 2" longer and 6" wider. I looked at them side by side at a boat show and the Freedom felt like "more boat" to me. Lund has a lot of brand loyalty out there but Starcraft has been making quality boats for a long time as well. For my money, between these two, the Freedom is the winner.

BTW, I ended up buying a Polar Kraft Outlander. Give them a look if you want to make your decision ever more difficult.

5. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

I rock the Smokercraft branded Freedom 18, powered with an Evinrude ETEC 90 Tiller.
    A great boat. As Lastflight mentioned dimensionally it's bigger than the Lund. The beam is really noticeable. I use mine as a layout tender. Frankly I think you would be happy with either.
    It's like comparing an F150 with a Silverado.

6. Radar

Radar

i've had the Freedom 180 for 10 years with the 90 e-tec tiller. I hunt and fish primarily Burt Lake and Saginaw Bay. It gets the job done. Always got me home in big winds/waves. Can put 100 big decoys in it, full blind, and 3 dudes and a dog and still have plenty of room and still run 34mph. Liked it better than the 18 alaskan. If you're going to get the alaskan get the 20 footer.

7. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

Thanks for the replys thus far. I'm having my dealer quote a freedom 180 for me and next week will have the Lund dealer do the same. Couple questions though...since I plan on trolling with it, should I get a tiller driven kicker motor? If so, what h.p.? I'm having the dealers quote em with evinrude etec's. The Starcraft dealer said max hp is 115 and Lund is 90. I think both would be unable to troll slow enough but I have no idea.

8. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

Freedom max hp is 90 tiller, 115 console. Unless you're trolling for muskies get a kicker. 4 stroke, so you can run off the tank gas. Otherwise you'll need a seperate remote tank.

Buckshot556 likes this.
  9. adam bomb

adam bomb

I would go with a 9.9-15 for your kicker.

10. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

The dealer recommended a 9.9. He also recommended the kicker be a tiller instead of plumbing it into the steering. He claims the pro walleye guys on the Starcraft team use tiller kickers when trolling.

Right now he's buildin the boat to know what the price will be. I had him exclude the kicker for now and quote a min kota 70# thrust. You think I should do it the other way around? Ditch the trolling motor and go with a kicker?

I'm going with hydraulic steering for the main motor fyi

11. Zofchak

Zofchak

Trolling for walleye? If so, I say skip the kicker and go as big as possible on the electric motor instead (I haven't used a gas kicker in years.) The 36V I pilot makes trolling a breeze and leaves your hands free and clears up space in the back of the boat. It also can get you into much shallower/more weed choked water when duck hunting.

12. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

Do you think a 70lb thrust min Kota is good enough for that size boat then?

I like the idea of the troller because as you said it frees up space in the back and frees my handes too.

13. Zofchak

Zofchak

In calm open water the 70lb would be fine, but if you're fighting a current or a heavy breeze it's going to struggle. Another big advantage of the 36v systems is they enable longer run times. Two size 31 batteries (About 200ah (And only about 100ah of usable capacity if you want your batteries to last a few years) aren't likely to last a full day of trolling if you're pushing a 24v motor hard, but with 36v you can run the same speed at lower power levels and have (3)100ah batteries instead of only 2.

Jimbos likes this.
  14. adam bomb

adam bomb

Kicker is sure nice if the main died. Personally I'd put both on the boat