Ludington

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by loomis10, Jul 8, 2020.

1. loomis10

loomis10

Ended up 2/5. Heading out now. Starting out south in 100

Gone Coastal likes this.
  2. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

, good luck, are their many boats? Should be a good day. I’ve been on my tractor too dam long, got the boat all ready but reports haven’t been great.

3. knowhowiroll

knowhowiroll

be thankful you can still run in to them in Lake Michigan. They are unicorns on Lake Huron.

They are trying to sustain somewhat of a viable Chinook population on Lake Michigan that is not very popular.

4. loomis10

loomis10

7 color 1/2 20+ lb

Not to bad we are south in 100 foot

magnum lure and Gone Coastal like this.
  5. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

Wow, fish was up high.

6. Bigfisher

Bigfisher

magnum lure and Gone Coastal like this.
  7. wilsonm

wilsonm

You can criticize all you want and that's your right. But I'll will say this. I can't think of one person who works for fisheries division who doesn't fish. That start's from the top and goes all the way down to the secretaries. My facebook feed is loaded every weekend with fish picks from division employees, and yes, many of them are from their boats fishing on the big lake with salmon pics. We all love salmon and want the lake to support more salmon, but definitely don't want to risk a repeat of Lake Huron. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Many of us have had the pleasure of being taught by Tanner, had conversations with Tanner and many are friends of his. What he didn't have to deal with in the mid to late 60's was federal tribe recognition, leading to a federal consent decree. That was a game changer. There are many more groups at the table now that legally have a say in the management of the lake and what goes into it. In the hey days, nobody cared about how many lake trout were being stocked by the feds because the lake productivity was so high. Everyone was happy. Now we have quagga mussels filtering out the base of the food chain. Things are different now. Not trying to get into a pissing match at all or get into the details of Lake Michigan management and where chinook plants are or aren't, because that's not my job. I just took offense to my angler co-workers being called non fisherman anti Tanner's. There are a lot fish being caught right now up and down the coast looking at several big lake forums and sites and from my co-workers so I hope everyone can get out there and get into some action.

8. R-boat

R-boat

12riverfish likes this.
  9. R-boat

R-boat

Well said. I know you are dedicated to your fisheries jobs. Also, you don't get to make the decisions. Good luck out there. I'm probably done for the year. Took a nasty fall 3 weeks ago. Had wrist surgery last week & rotator cuff scheduled for the 26th.wishing I could get out

10. magnum lure

magnum lure

The fishing changes with the wind direction, No chance of catching if you don't GO! Leaving in the morning. FISH ON!!!

11. baychaser

baychaser

Spent 4 days this past week w 2 trips north to big sable point and north and 4 trips out in front. Found some fish in approximately 150 fow. Had a good bite 1 day when a few coho were in the area. Ended up 12 fish 4 of which went over 20 lbs. So good size but not a lot of them. Best report was to head south to little sable point but we had some newbies and a couple trips we had grandkids so decided that was too far to run.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

12. grassmaster

grassmaster

Seems huge salmon are like huge whitetails nowadays, we cant bait the deer but can bait the fish.
    isn't there a species of bait fish out there the DNR could stock ?
    chubs, smelt, shiners something like that, and use the money there saving from not stocking salmon to fund it?
    We have learned to plant food plots for deer why not food plots for fish.

13. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Because the baitfish themselves have to have something to eat. The quagga mussels have essentially sterilized the lake, meaning there is far less plankton out there to feed the baitfish. Also, we could never raise enough baitfish to supply a lake of that size. It just flat out isn't possible. Our hatcheries are designed for salmonids, not baitfish.

14. maddiedog

maddiedog

Well here's how I seeit which is probably flawed. We're making more bait then previous few years. Every trout was packed with bait. There's fewer kings with more bait making them harder to catch. Days we used to crush them, it was a lot more rare to get a 20# fish. It's pretty normal now just not many. It's like putting a bag of corn in the middle of a corn field for bait.

Sparky23 likes this.
  15. knowhowiroll

knowhowiroll

Alewive's (had) nutrition values to sustain Chinook growth back in the day. Alewive in these days have less nutritional value due to the base food chain being filtered out by Quaggle muscles hence they must consume more of them to begin with. That being said in the mid 2000's when the system collased these silver fish were chasing huron blues and other bait fish which required much more energy and acquiring less energy since they didn't have the nutritional value of alewive. Fish had no idea and they they were emaciating themselves trying to feed themselves. It was brutal looking at them as they came to the boat.