Lowrance Hook 2 Tripleshot (PLEASE HELP)

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by muskyfishon, Jun 24, 2020.

1. muskyfishon

muskyfishon

Bought a Hook 2 9 inch Tripleshot a couple years ago. Last year starting having issues with screen freezing up and losing bottom while drifting. Updated to new software still had the issue. This spring still have issues where the bottom looked like a pencil line. Called lowrance they said send the unit in. Long story short they said it was the unit and not the transducer .Sold me a new one for a discounted 400. Got it and put it on and it was doing the same thing with this "new unit". I know it wasn't my same unit because I put secretly placed scratches on my old unit. I swapped out the transducer and the thing has never worked better. Tonight I was out musky fishing and look back and the sonar screen is orange. I still have my Gps and speed but the sonar and side imaging and down imaging dont work. I got home and plugged the other transducer in because it never made the screen turn orange and it was still orange. I am very disgusted with Lowrance right now and will be calling them. Is there someone who has had the same problem or might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm thinking its the unit and if it is this is not acceptable. I've only had this unit for 3 weeks. Thanks

2. piketroller

piketroller

Just curious with how shallow you are when you were seeing problems on the first unit. When you get in shallow water, the Lowrance units have a hard time determining what the actual bottom is on the “auto” setting. In shallow water you need to put them in manual mode. This has been a known issue for the HDS line for a long time, so I assume if it’s a problem for their higher end stuff, it’s probably an issue for the rest of their products as well.

3. fishrod

fishrod

How shallow are you talking about? I just installed hook2 tripleshot on my boat last night.

4. piketroller

piketroller

The issue seems to be most prevalent in less than 5 feet of water, especially when it’s really weedy.

5. fishrod

fishrod

Thanks Pike, i was a little worried. In 5,6 ft i can deal with that if it happens.

6. piketroller

piketroller

It’s not a big deal after you figure out how to fix it. The auto setting adjusts things for you based on depth and some other factors, so putting it in manual mode is just turning off this advanced feature and making it work like other units.

7. jd4223

jd4223

I have had poor customer service with Lowrance on 2 of their units I purchased.After having to send the units in more than 2 times for the same problems not counting waiting 2 plus months to get the units back(not repaired), I finally asked for a refund and had to settle for partial refunds due to so called units being past warranty time. I argued that having to wait 2 months to get the units back(unrepaired) should not be held against me because the warranty expired during this time. Lowrance never responded. I took what money they offered and bought a HumminBird. Customer service has been the number 1 complaint against Lowrance as far back as I remember. I still have 2 HumminBird flashers that are over 30 plus years old still working.. I will continue to buy HumminBird in the future.

8. muskyfishon

muskyfishon

This spring when it really started acting up when we were jigging the trenton channel in 15 to 20 ft. Shouldn't have been an issue. After switching out the transducer on the new unit everything worked great for a month. Then the screen just went orange. Yes we drifted over some weeds in maybe 5 to 6 ft of water. Usually when the screen locks up in shallow water I'm ok with that but it turned orange and could never get it back. Called the supervisor at Lowrance that I had been dealing with because getting through to their regular techs is a nightmare. She gave me her direct number and has been nothing but the best. I told her my issue and she said it had to do with one of the boards in the unit itself. She said let me look into options because I basically just wanted to return the unit and get a refund. She is sending me a new Lowrance 9 elite TI at no cost. I hope I have better luck with that. Up until I got ahold of her their customer service was a nightmare but she was more than helpful. I actually have always had hummingbird in the past with no issues and I let the guy at bass pro talk me into this. She told me that I only had to send back the unit and to keep the transducers and map card. So I have a US/Canada navionics card and a tripleshot transducer if anyone is interested send me a pm and maybe we can work something out. I'm in the downriver area

9. piketroller

piketroller

Yeah, you had real problems, not just the auto mode freeze ups in shallow water.

10. Slimshady

Slimshady

I also have the Hook 7 Reveal Triple-shot. For some reason, I can not get it to mark fish at all. It will mark the bottom and the side-imaging works fine, but in normal sonar mode, the screen is always empty. I also have an HDS-10 on my boat, so it is easy to compare what the screens look like on each unit. The HDS will be full of fish, and the Hook will be empty. The transducers are only about 5 inches apart, so they should be marking the same fish. I have tried adjusting the sensitivity and tried both the Chirp mode and 200 kHz mode. When I adjust the sensitivity, it just gets grainy and darker until it goes black, but still no fish. On my HDS, I find that the 83kHz mode is best for marking fish, but that's not an option on the Hook7.

I am wondering if the two transducers are interfering with each other. However, if that were the case, then why does the side imaging work? And wouldn't that impact both units?