Lowrance chirp 4 help

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by TCJim, Feb 12, 2018.

1. TCJim

TCJim

Hey all, I bought a new chirp 4 last season used it about 10 Times and loved. This year I am having all sorts of issues with it. I have watched what you tube videos I can find on adjusting settings. So here are the issues. It will mark depth and gps works fine. Sometimes my depth will jump constantly about a 4'-5' difference say I'm in 20' it will keep switching from 18'-24' this is in flat bottom no weeds or current. It will not mark my jig or lures I switch between high chirp med chirp, 200, 85, and nothing I am catching fish and those are not being marked either. This is happening in water deeper than 15' I am running sensitivity roughly in the high sixty low seventy range if I go higher the screen turns all fuzzy and black. No other fishermen around me so not getting interference from other units. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I checked ducer cable and did not find any damage. Thanks ahead of time.

2. JNome

JNome

Where is your transducer in your hole in relation to ice depth? If it is not right on the bottom of the hole or just below it can give some weird readings.

You may have seen this video but this guy is very knowledgeable of these units:

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

TCJim likes this.

3. TCJim

TCJim

Ya it's right below. I have watched all his videos. Tried everything I saw in them. Thinking I'm going to get a new ducer and hope I didn't end up with a bulky $400 dollar gps unit

4. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I don't have an elite 4 but have helped a few guys out that were having issues.

Turn auto depth off. That sounds like what's making your depth jump all over. This means you will have to manually set your "lower limits" now. Not as nice as auto but keeps it from jumping up and down which is far more annoying.

As for marking your jig. If you are running small jigs(3mm or less or even lead) you are going to have to run your sensitivity a little higher. You want your sonar to just barely pick up your jig. I fish 3mm jigs 95% of the time and run my sonars where it picks it up when moving. My style of fishing I'm constantly jigging. 60-70% sounds about right if you are fishing around 20 FOW.

Like I said I don't own one, I have limited use with these units. Just trying to help. I'm sure @sfw1960 could chime in and help assist.

Just for kicks, what kind of voltage are you reading? I know my x67(little brother to the 4) acts funny when it's low on juice or running a crap battery.

Thirty pointer likes this.
  5. JNome

JNome

^ Turn the “auto depth” off is a must. Helps the unit to lock onto bottom. Just set your depth a little deeper than what you are fishing. I sometimes even have to do this with my boat units to help them get a lock on bottom.

6. TCJim

TCJim

Thanks for the auto depth idea I have been running that on. When I try to turn my sensitivity up to mark a jig my screen turns into snow just like the tv stations and I can't see anything. I also forgot to ask, anytime I take the ducer out of the hole either to land a fish or hop to a different hole the depth will change to like a foot or 8" and will not reset to the correct depth even with auto depth off. I have to turn the unit off and on to get it read the correct depth. Is this normal?

7. JNome

JNome

Hmmm. Sounds like it’s a transducer issue with what you are seeing. For what it’s worth, I had a bad transducer on my boat and took just the transducer back to West Marine and they gave me a new one free since it was within the warranty policy of the Lowrance unit. Might be worth looking into for yours? Not sure if you are still in the window. I’m sure Cabelas could hook you up with a replacement Ice ducer.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

8. Jr.BowmanMI

Jr.BowmanMI

Are you running in split flasher?

9. Jr.BowmanMI

Jr.BowmanMI

You may want to check your ping speed. Fastest is the speed you want

10. TCJim

TCJim

I have ran regular graph split zoom graph and tried split flasher with no difference. Ping is at fastest speed. I adjusted the depth to custom because I get anywhere from 2'-10' interference in the top portion of the water column.

11. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I have been "experimenting" with a Hook Chirp unit, it needs to be run FULL MANUAL - except maybe the sensitivity - but even then, you're best off on manual if you're not a very experienced user.