Lower walleye attempt

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by riverwart, Jun 29, 2020.

1. riverwart

riverwart

Bottom bounced from golf course to Elizabeth park from 6-10 this morning. Only 1 shorty eye, mix in a bunch of sheap, a few silvers, and probably a dozen 6-12 inch smallies. Floating weeds were still bad from the weekend. Tons of Mayfly husks floating and choking up ramp. Water clear, 68*. Gonna call it a successful first ever trip pulling harnesses. My boy got the only walleye so he was happy. 3 oz.weight got most fish and snags, 2oz was not hitting bottom as much. Trolled at 2.5 to 3 . fish came from all depths 18-35 ft. Very few boats, glass out there early on.

2. 50incher

50incher

Crazy how things have seemed tough recently, I'll do the old wives tails thinking, lol....and that is, it always seems to be hard to get Walleye on the river during the may fly hatch....that's a fact....

Yeah the lake is on fire so what gives ? lol....we always blame the may fly hatch this time of year, and I have seen 100's & 100's of walleye eating the may fly hatch on the surface on a calm evening....so ?....

RW everyone I know has been struggling to get Walleye....Amherstburg channel has been best lately, and usually is....but it'll pick back up for the rest of the river....enjoy your reports !....cheers....

NEW HUDSON WALT and riverwart like this.

3. riverwart

riverwart

I hear ya, always a tough bite around 4th of July. Hotter than hell too. Out early, back in early is a must for me. Surprised to see so many dinker smallmouth. At least we had some action. Good luck 50.

4. haggerty05

haggerty05

Are you using normal length bouncers? I for the river I use longer ones they are about twice as long( dont have an exact measurement at the moment) they really help with the amount of snags. The only place I know that has is sportsman direct up by metro beach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. wingster51

wingster51

I wonder if bringing those harnesses up off the bottom would help. If the eyes are eating mayflies they may be higher in the water column.

6. waxico

waxico

I tried it last Thursday. Tied an old school 3 way swivel and pencil sinker.
    I tried 3 and 5 feet off the bottom. No love....

7. riverwart

riverwart

All my bottom bouncers are the standard or normal length. Will have to try and find some longer ones. Didn't break any off yesterday, all popped free on the turn around. New to this harness pulling, so any and all help is appreciated. Definitely go through the crawlers a lot faster than you do jigging. 3 dozen gone before I knew it. Thanks again for the tip. Gonna get backout in a day or two, need some rain for the crawlers more than ever now.

8. Double d's

Double d's

And
    Andys in Melvindale has the long wire bouncers as well.

riverwart likes this.
  9. bc10

bc10

Thanks for the report. Going to try mid-river tomorrow.

10. 50incher

50incher

I read in a Walleye book years ago about fishing during the hatch, this was Minn. and a lake, but they said where they know the mayflies are, soft bottom ? I guess....anyways they would anchor on edge of it and fish leeches on slip rigs in evening to night....

I think it said leeches wiggle action mimic how larvae swim to the surface....so I couldn't find anybody to night fish with me & went out alone....and SAS !....I rigged slip rigs with a little float and had 3 nice Walleye in 1st 45 mins @ 10 pm, couldn't believe it, black leeched at night !....

Was very cool but this wasn't to long after 9/11 and I felt funny being out there in Ont. water after dark, alone with border patrol running around, got the best of me and packed it in after convincing myself it works....& haven't tried it since !!….not a night fisherman at all, lol....

Anyhoo, it's good food for thought, and I guarantee it works....was a calm night and I just drifted with current, didn't anchor....was good stuff....cheers....

wingster51 and riverwart like this.
  11. wingster51

wingster51

how deep did you set the slip bobbers? worms and crawlers wiggle tool

12. riverwart

riverwart

It sure is good to have you back on here 50. You always tell a good story whether it's fishing or whatever on the river. Good stuff for sure.

50incher likes this.
  13. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Just that time of year, not the mayflies..
    Don't fish the detroit river but fish SCR OFTEN and I'm "done" this time of year every year. To long and to "hard" to get a limit. More then enough walleye to last anyways. My mind switches gears to deer and wheels in the woods :) know two good sticks out this a.m. and they worked and both blanked ! I "think" most of the fish move out into the lakes, lake erie, lake huron, lake st.clair. sure a few in the river but not nearly as many that there were in the last few months.

Uncle Boopoo likes this.
  14. 50incher

50incher

I made rigs with sinkers that slipped, less resistance when they pick it up....had a leader with a small float near hook, maybe right on it, I don't remember ?....wanted the bait off bottom not on ....just like bottom bouncing....so it looked like a larvae swimming to surface....

Wish I could remember the book !....probably borrowed it....all I know is what it said, lol....leeches are flat & have a specific kind of action, which supposedly mimics the actual larvae swimming up ??….

From our experience the river always has a lull between the Silverbass and mayflies, then it gets better, never anywhere near the spring for sure !!!! and then it gets real tough toward fall....but again (experience is limited/relative)….we spend more time fishing other species in fall so our experience becomes limited....just saying....all I claim to know is what we've done, lol....not what can/could be done....:)....cheers all....

I'm not getting 1/20th the time on the water as I ever have in my life right now....

snortwheeze and riverwart like this.
  15. riverwart

riverwart

Usually around mid-July til about the middle of September I've done really well jigging for them. Not for the size, but pulled some quick, first light, eater limits out of the lower many times. Hopefully this year is no different. Mix in some harnesses and I'm ready.