1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I’ve got some nice fish from the AS the last few weeks. Lots of people, so spots were tough to get some days. It wasn’t a great steelhead run, but there were fish to be caught. Also a few bonus fish around. I’ve found sucker eggs, steelhead eggs, mussels, bugs, a coho smolt and a piece of blue plastic in stomachs this spring.

-db-, wallhanger81, eucman and 11 others like this.
  2. cmueller302

cmueller302

Nice fish! Thanks for sharing. Just curious what was best method? Seems like everyone jumped on bead bandwagon so small spawn sacs worked better for me this year.

3. Fishndude

Fishndude

So, blue plastic is working? lol

Thanks for the fishing report, Jon. Is that first fish a Brown? It has the square tail, and looks......Brown-ish.

4. MEL

MEL Premium Member

Nice work!

5. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Yeah, first fish is a nice little spring brown. Also got a refurbished Atlantic.

Beads have exploded on the Au Sable the last few years, but they’ve also caught a bunch of fish. All my fish this spring have come on beads, under bobbers and bounced.

Stomachs have been cool:

access2 and Bighunther like this.
  6. Spin to Win

Spin to Win

• Nice haul AS! Thanks for posting some great pics.

I'm always interested in seeing the stomach contents of these fish, so those photos are really cool. Looks like the mussels in your fish were maybe the by-product of eating eggs on or near the bottom? I'm curious if you've found any fish where the mussels looked like they were the primary food source, or like a fish was actively seeking them out as a meal? Obviously, those filter feeding creatures have changed the entire food web in the Great Lakes, and Lake Huron especially. I know there's some evidence of certain fish species targeting the mussels now, but was just wondering if you've noticed anything first hand.

Nice work out there!
        EditDeleteReport

7. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I think they just mistake them for bugs honestly. There were always just pieces, not a full mussel.

8. Fishndude

Fishndude

Are you sure those aren't Fall Steelies? They're eating pretty good. ;)

9. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Steelhead are long gone, and summer mode has started to set in...

10. andyotto

andyotto

Always appreciate your updates Ausable. I am very interested in the health of the Lake Huron fishery/tribs and how it transitions through the year. You always give a great snapshot of what’s going on. Thanks man.

Swampbuckster and access2 like this.
  11. Grinnell

Grinnell

Hell yeah! Pounding them. And a quill back!!! Cool fish haven’t seen one for years.

12. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Been tough the last couple weeks. Seems the summer patterns are just not there like normal. That comes as no surprise with the way this year has went. I did manage some good eating though this week, so all was not lost.

4298FF5F-5519-4765-B7BC-BE83C9D679A4.jpeg

13. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Another tough bite, but we managed a 19” rainbow and 3 solid eyes. The bow had a hole below the adipose; I assume a heron took a shot. The dark blood mark in the fillets are part of that injury.

Next week is my first trip for skams this summer; hoping they’re around where I fish.

8B80DF43-2BDB-4AAE-B29A-481241B7FBD7.jpeg 5BBABEE6-A82E-4FA0-B6C9-6C1E07DCFC30.jpeg 6FE8B593-1E8E-4292-9E9B-7AFAE97E3E5F.jpeg

BumpRacerX, access2, boots741 and 2 others like this.