Lost a wounded deer in bow hunting

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by iceandfire, Oct 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucman

Bucman

2. Dish7

Dish7

You beat me to it, lol.

DirtySteve, Spartan88 and U of M Fan like this.

3. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I have helped people track and even tracked my own deer last year until almost 2 in the morning after waiting about an hour to start. Rarely do we find it in the darkness with nerves on end.

There has only been one deer that we have not found with relative ease in the daylight hours. And that one we bumped, going against our better judgement and pushing on because we still had great blood. Both of us swore it was a dead deer, but it wasn't when we found it 3 hours later and I got just about to it before it sprung up never to be seen again. Talk about sharting your pants. I felt terrible for my hunting partner, because had I not done that, she would have been laying right there in the morning. We never could pick up a track after that and grid searched for hours.

My point is, go back in the day light. You probably walked right past him. Move slow and look at everything. I have found them under downed trees before. It is dead somewhere, go look.

Namrock, hbt, Spartan88 and 2 others like this.
  4. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Found a one lung hit buck 3 days later after remembering a thick spot I didn’t check .It was still warm when I gutted it.Must have expired late the night before .Never give up .Even if it gets eaten by yotes you will fell good that you found it .

5. Scadsobees

Scadsobees

Nice group.
    Learning to hunt by oneself with only an online forum for help, few hunting area options, inexperience at tracking, clearly beginner mistakes made, and probably feeling sick over it (thus some offhand comments about to try not to feel as bad) and you all cut him to pieces. I've been there and know the feeling.

I've left a deer in the woods after making the same rookie mistakes (found it a few days later, that sucked!!), as well as found others deer in the woods left by others. In the big picture, more deer are laying by michigans roads in a year by far than are left by hunters in 10 years.

I appreciate the posts like the last couple, and others...encouragement to go back out there and look. If you can get a direction, try to get permission on a parcel or two.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  6. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I helped my BIL track a buck for 400 yds last year before we gave up for the night. We had good blood to start with, but then it became a drop here and there the last 100 yds. He called a few dog trackers in our area and left messages that night. Not one of them ever called him back! I've tracked enough deer to have a good instinct on where they are heading. I told my BIL where to start looking in the morning and he found it not far from where we quit for the night. We thought for sure it was going to be eaten by yotes before we could find it, but luckily that didn't happen. His shot was high and through the liver.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The scent will still be there. Call in a tracking hound! It’s a dead deer.

Jeffish74 and sureshot006 like this.
  8. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I agree, but good luck getting one to answer their phone or return a message.

9. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

Agreed. I don’t think he cares that much tho. This idea has been posed a dozen times. Lots of good advice. He just chooses not to take the suggestions given. Nothing amazes me with our society anymore. Sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

10. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

This guy just keeps coming up with more excuses. Do your duty as a hunter and put in an effort to find the deer. Whether successful or not, at least you know you tried.

ToppDogg likes this.
  11. John Hine

John Hine

So many of these things need to be considered before ever stepping foot in the woods. Times are changing I guess. Good luck, I’m out.

12. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

You're getting some strongly worded responses because your final message last night was perceived as being overly casual about finding the deer. I understand that may not be an accurate perception but that's how it goes in web forums.

Here are some things I'd encourage you to do moving forward:

Develop a crystal clear understanding of which shot angles are desirable for deer. For example, if they're facing right towards you, that shot should never be taken with archery equipment. If they're broadside but angling away, your aim point should be so that the arrow will exit right behind the shoulder that you cannot see. Become familiar with ALL the possibilities and adhere to them.

Secondly, be patient before beginning to track. It's a matter of how many hours you wait before tracking, not how many minutes.

Thirdly, use this forum to learn. Ask a lot of questions. And if possible connect with a veteran hunter who can mentor you in person.

Jeffish74, hbt, Tryin2 and 2 others like this.
  13. stickman1978

stickman1978

Or you could have walked right past it.

14. on a call

on a call

Who is this Randal Stevens ???

15. LITTLECLEO

LITTLECLEO

ToppDogg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.