Loose eggs/skein to spare - Macomb?

Discussion in 'Cold Water Species Fishing' started by CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder, Nov 30, 2020.

1. CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

Sorry to ask but does anyone have any uncured loose eggs or skein to spare near the Macomb county area? Planning on heading surf fishing this Friday and only have old cured eggs remaining. I don’t need much like 1/4lb max to tie a couple dozen bags to hold me off till a friend gets back from vacation.

Shoot me a PM!

2. Fishndude

Fishndude

Man, just under 2 months ago there were Salmon spawning all over NW Michigan. I make it a point to spend a weekend every year, getting loose Salmon eggs to use for bait for the coming year. Got that relatively small window of opportunity, ya know. October 10th is just about an ideal target date for that. ;)

3. CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

I caught a whooping total of 0 loose hens this year! Actually 1, but it was nasty and didn’t keep it. Thought I was going to catch more hens that day, it didn’t happen. Rest were bucks, go figure. I have a friend that said he has some 10lbs for me, but he’s out of town for the week

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

I didn't catch any hens, either. But I hung around a smelly fish cleaning station until I got what I needed for the coming year. I saw a lot of Kings caught, and a lot of Kings spawning this fall. Sorry, but I am nowhere near you right now, or I'd give you a day-bag, or two.

5. Fiskr Hundr

Fiskr Hundr

6. marcodeniro

marcodeniro

What is the best way to keep your uncured eggs. I miss surfishing for steelies

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

I like to rinse them a couple times in clean river/lake water, drain them real well, then roll them up in qt ziploc baggies, portioned about 1 - 1 1/2 cups. I squeeze the air out and roll them up, and seal them. Then I put those baggies into a gallon ziploc, and squeeze out as much air as possible, and store in a freezer that isn't frost-free. When I want to tie bags, I just take a "daybag" out of the freezer a couple days ahead of time, and let it thaw in a bowl in the fridge. When they first thaw, some liquid will be in the bag. If you just turn it a couple times/day for a day, or two, the eggs re-absorb the liquid, and are perfect for tying, and fishing.

and now you know

8. seabass810

seabass810 Premium Member

9. mdj

mdj

vacuum sealing doesn't bust those loose eggs?

10. Fishndude

Fishndude

vacuum sealing works great, too. It is just a bit messier to clean up, for me.

11. seabass810

seabass810 Premium Member

I freeze in a sandwich bag and then freeze. No problems here with busting eggs

12. Agrills

Agrills

Take loose eggs out of fish.put in separate bags to fish different trips. . Some guy’s add water but I don’t. Before my next trip I will take some eggs out of the bag and put them on cellophane wrap and let them dry out . Not to the point they are completely dry / hard . Reason I do this is when I’m tying my bags the eggs I dried out will keep there color for ever. I only add 3 maybe 4 dried eggs in with the loose eggs to my bags . Depending on the time of year I will add more or less.
    I learned this from a guy I met years back. Works best from November on.

TroutFishingBear likes this.