close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by riskybiz09, Apr 1, 2018.

1. riskybiz09

riskybiz09

Hey guys,

My name is Brian.. wanted to first introduce myself and thank you experienced guys for shedding lots of light on different topics in this forum. Over the past 2 or so years some of you have taught me a ton about waterfowling. I have been hunting birds for going on 4 years now and am still hooked.. I live in Jackson county up by Stockbridge and hunt all over the southern half of the state. I currently have a 1 1/2 year old lab named Remi that i am self training and loving every second of it.. my fiancée and I have a 9 year old German Shepherd that is slowing down quickly and Chelsea (the ball and chain) wants me to start looking at breeders for a new buddy for Remi. While I hate the thought of losing our shepherd I’d like to ask you all for suggestions on reputable black lab breeders.. I’d like to find a British bred lab if possible for various personal reasons, but I am open to any good gun dogs. Also wondering what experience you all may be able to share in regards to having/ training 2 young labs at once. I hope this post does not cause any online battles on Easter, but i am looking forward to reading what you guys and girls have to say.

Thank you in advance and happy Easter !
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1522599524.152104.jpg
    Here’s a pic of my dogs just for the heck of it.

Thanks again,

Brian

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    don novicki likes this.
  2. N M Mechanical

N M Mechanical Premium Member

May not be British but 3 kennels to check out. Michiganders ken Youngs
    Kingseed kennels Tim Doane
    Wingman kennels Nick Moe

3. Gander Club

Gander Club

Ken has a nice looking litter on the ground right now.

4. riskybiz09

riskybiz09

thanks! I don't absolutely have to have a brit lab, more so just wanted to see if I noticed any differences, but I am indifferent. I trained with a guy who has a pup from Kingseed! That dog is rock solid and extremely obedient.

5. lilsean95

lilsean95

Have a pup from Michiganders she is amazing and smart as they come....sometimes too smart. I drop her off April 15th for 3 months

6. Mike L

Mike L

Being a beginner trainer your looking for problems trying to train two labs at the same time. A new lab needs all of the time you can give it. I tried what your speaking about doing. No two dogs are the same and have to be trained at different paces. Some learn faster than others etc.
    A pup needs all of your time #1......The year and a half dog should be starting advanced training. Your older lab doesn't need a buddy, he has you and your wife. Train him to be the best he can be. When he's fully trained and about 9yrs old, THEN, think about another pup.

Sampsons_owner likes this.
  7. Duckiller

Duckiller

Last Lab was a British Lab. Current lab is from a breeder that runs field trials with American Labs. The British Lab was very laid back and mellow. We made a round trip from So.Cal to MI and there was no water that she could get to that she didn't swim in. She had a great trip and enjoyed hunting in MI. Current Lab runs! She doesn't always think about where she is running and runs out in frount of car occasionally, no accidents yet and we are working on getting her under control. She is fast, not Afghan fast but she is fast and she helps herself to food of the kitchen counter. I am 75 years old and if I had known that the American Lab was not so laid back I would have looked harder for a British Lab. That siad Ms Wendy Vanilla Frosty and I will have many pleasant adventures.

8. lefty421

lefty421

I'll be making a trip down to Indiana this weekend to pick up my new female lab pup.
    The sire belongs to Frank Purdy of Oldsquaw Kennels and the dam belongs to Abby Eash at Trinity Oak Labs.
    She'll be 7 weeks this saturday and ready to come home. (Finally!!!)