Looking for crossbow recommendations

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dynrat, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Macs13

Macs13

Congrats on that new Ravin. I hope that you'll enjoy it for many years to come. I definitely love my R10 and like you said, the trigger feel is the closest thing to a nice rifle that i can imagine on a bow.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Dynrat and sureshot006 like this.
  2. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

Nothing wrong with buying more performance than you need. Congrats on the new xbow.

Dynrat and on a call like this.

3. on a call

on a call

;)

4. Bucman

Bucman

I like the kiss method. That's why I shoot an xcaliber.
    Simple guy simple weapon

5. Nolan3387

Nolan3387

Edit: I posted this without seeing you already purchases an R10!

I bought an Ravin R20 months ago. Used to have a parker cyclone (which I loved). Thought it was time for an upgrade. I spent ALOT of time researching everything Ravin before I purchased. If you do purchase, I would highly recommend the R9 or R10. Those models do not shoot at fast, but there is FAR less tension, and less wear and tear on them. If you can, I would go with an R9. The best way to describe Ravin, is it is like buying a Ferrari. It is a high performance piece of equipment, and requires alot of attention, detail, and maintenance. You need to keep up on them, otherwise things can go downhill fast.
    The bows are under alot of tension, even when uncocked. I bought an R20 brand new in the bow. Shot it about 10 times, and the timing was already off. Went to dealer and the cable was already stretched, and needed replacement. This was basically due to the fact it was sitting there under tension. The strings and cables stretch even when they are uncocked. This is why they need to be replaced and get out of timing/lose speed even when they aren't being shot. There are 2 dots on the the cams, and the string has to be in between those two dots. If they are not in the middle, the timing is off and it needs to be adjusted. If you buy brand new, you get a warranty and Ravin will send strings and cables all day no charge. This is where my recommendation for the R9 comes into play. It shoots the "Slowest" of the Ravins, but there is far less tension and pressure than the R20, 26, 29, so everything will last much longer, far less wear and tear. Will still shoot dimes at 50 yards. My uncle has an R9, I have an R20, pretty much NO difference between the two, other than mine shooting faster but has alot more increased wear and tear. Join one of the Ravin FB groups. Alot of the Ravin issues you see are from the 26 and 29 because of the pressure they are under. I have read Numerous guys saying their 26 exploded in the case sitting in the basement. Really short bow, with as much tension as an R10. I would not recommend anything other than a R9 or R10, especially if you want long term life. If I could do it all over again I would've bought a used R9. Best bang for your buck.
    I will say with all of that said, they are a sweeeeeeeet crossbow. I love being able to uncock it, cock it quietly, and the narrowness and how light it is. I have had deer in front of me 30 yards out in a treestand and I was able to silent cock, and uncock my crossbow. One was a 3.5 year old 10 point. I was not able to get a shot at him, but I was able to cock my bow silently and nock and arrow without him knowing I was even there. Once you can educate yourself on the maintenance, timing of the bow, ect, they are a sweet piece of equipment.

Just my .02 cents about my research and experience with Ravins.

6. Jimbos

Jimbos

I have a Wicked Ridge RDX-400 reverse limb bow with Accudraw and really like it. It's got the Ten Point warranty without the T.P. price.

ErieH2O likes this.
  7. Cleeent

Cleeent

Ravin

Buy a used one if you have to.
    Sold my Tenpoint RDX after I shot the Ravin r15 the first time.
    You can’t aim at the same spot on the target at 60 yards or you’ll destroy your arrows.

8. Cleeent

Cleeent

Haha. Sorry just saw you bought a used Ravin

you won’t regret it!!

9. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

I can see the virtues of the simplicity excalibur crossbows offer. But I believe the every other year string replacement on compound crossbows is a scam to make a couple hundred extra bucks by the dealers. I keep a close eye on my equipment and maintain it well. I went 6 years before replacing the string and cables on my Parker, and I still don't really think they needed replaced then, but did it as a precaution. Im on year 4 with the replacements and they are in excellent shape still. Pretty sure nobody that I know replaces them every other year, and Ive only ever heard of 1 string or cable failure. It was my dads tenpoint...on year 8 of the original string.

sureshot006 likes this.
  10. Cat Power

Cat Power

LOL

6 years on a Ravin without changing the string and cables and the arrows would be going about 250 fps.

On the plus side de-cocking would be easier

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  11. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Do you really think its a linear relationship? Do you really think no other crossbows have string stretch?

I understand being spooked by letting go of a crank but geez.

Macs13 and Cat Power like this.
  12. sureshot006

Yes the manufacturers are cautious and rightfully so. Tenpoint and Ravin both recommend 2 years. Ravin says 2, tenpoint says every other year. Same thing. Excalibur says change it at first sign of anything.

Of course, it is silly to run them to failure.

13. JS714

JS714

I'm curious about the string stretch thought and recommended replacement interval. I don't have a chronograph (although getting one might not be a bad idea), but I would think that ANY string stretch would be noticed when shooting. Stretch would generate less speed (as someone already noted)...which would equate to lower arrow/bolt flight apex and impact site. You would first start to notice it at greater distances and it wouldn't take much stretch for that to become evident. I would think that would be the point to replace rather than a timed or numbered interval.

14. sureshot006

I can tell you 5 years in haven't noticed an appreciable change in impact up to 50 yards. I won't shoot beyond that. Haven't checked velocity. Actually that could be calculated fairly easy. And its not like its going to be right on one shot and then a foot low the next.

jiggin is livin and JS714 like this.
  15. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I would guess that a Ravin would stretch the string faster, just due the crazy stress and performance of them. But I have zero experience with it.

I must be an outlier, because I absolutely love my Barnett raptor fx3 pro. They have gone up in price though, it was cheaper 4 years ago when I bought it. It is plenty fast and has plenty of KE to blow through anything I have ever shot with it. I probably should get the string changed though. Never a single problem with it and I have killed 8 deer with it. Accurate as hell and reliable the same.

I didn't realize so many guys were worried about shooting to unload, I guess it never crossed my mind. I have a field tip arrow with an aluminum piece that goes behind the tip that way it doesn't bury into the ground. Super cheap and easy to unload.

Congrats on the new Ravin, I am sure you will love it! Everyone I know who has one seems to, although I don't think I could admit it if I didn't after spending that kinda dough. Lol

Bucman and Dynrat like this.