Looking for crossbow recommendations

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dynrat, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

For the long haul go with an Excalibur. There are 35 year old models still being used. I don’t believe any other manufacture comes close. Lifetime warranty is a huge plus for those guys who are planning on leaving their equipment to a grand child.

2. Fordguy

Fordguy

You might laugh at this, but I picked up my "back up" crossbow for 60 dollars a year ago in an online sale at walmart. Its a Barnett recruit recurve, only rated at 240 fps, but, i can put 3 arrows into an inch at 20 yards, and in my target there's enough penetration that I'm not concerned about a broadside double lung shot at short distances. Vertical Recurve shooters have been killing deer forever with bows that shoot slower than this. I won't use a mechanical with it, and I stick to 125 grain broadheads, though ive been considering moving up to a 150. Also, the trigger is surprisingly decent.

3. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

A buddy has one, that thing is heavy, but good for the money. Another good cheap xbow is the Barnett whitetail.

4. lumpy0910

lumpy0910

I shoot a Tenpoint Stealth nxt. I have owned Tenpoint in the past, bought a Scorpyd. I loved the Scorpyd, it was was very accurate, but way too big. I went back to Tenpoint because of the dependability and accuracy. I like their new narrow line of bows with the adjustability for my son. I bought the stealth nxt used, if I would not of found that deal I would have bought one of the more affordable ones. I love shooting my Mathews, but I like all different styles of hunting, and crossbows, to me, have their place. I strongly encourage you to check out a Tenpoint.

JS714 likes this.
  5. Fissshh On!

Fissshh On!

I tried to measure it but the chronograph I have straps to the gun barrel and I spent over an hour trying to get it to work on my crossbow but no luck, never got a reading. I’ll try next weekend, I would like to know the speed myself.

6. Cat Power

Cat Power

My drop was so noticeable that you could tell how much easier the bow was to cock and decock

7. JS714

JS714

When I finally felt it was time to hang up the compound and move to a crossbow, I looked at and shot quite a few before settling on a TenPoint. I loved the accuracy and weight distribution of the reverse limb design. Every other design felt nose heavy to me. The reverse limb puts the weight back to the center of the bow and (at least for me) was much easier to keep on target without a rest. It's just under 400fps, but pinpoint accurate as far as I'll ever shoot at a deer with a bow (50 yards). TenPoint.jpg

kisherfisher, Dynrat and sureshot006 like this.
  8. ckosal

ckosal Addicted2hunting4 Premium Member

Had my own issues this year. Final tune up shoot with my Prime and my string went pop. Sunday before opener. Tried to get it fixed before the opener and no chance. So, I went on a crusade knowing i could get a cross bow purchased and sighted in over an afternoon (which was true).

I ended up with a Ten Point Nitro. Was super expensive. I have been shocked by a few things i would of never considered. It is relatively easy to aim off-hand. But, i am not loving it. Shoots tacks. For sure. fast and accurate. But... because it is so fast it is hard to de-cock. I had to buy another target.. no chance to discharge in to one of those little bags. So i carry it out of the woods cocked and had to buy a special target as my two i had (block and firestorm) wouldn't hold the arrows. It would just rip fletching's off as they pass through both. If you can believe it... it is too fast. Ridiculous. Rated like 440 with the arrows i am using (chrono was around 435). We don't think much about de-cocking but man i hate the fact i am carrying it cocked out of the woods (pull the arrow off but still it is cocked). Just hoping the double safety keeps me from being cut in half on the walk out.

Also - when shopping... put an arrow in and sit it on your lap and sit there for a while like in a stand. I have found in the tree the base of the Nitro is concave. Like a canoe. Fits the hand super nice when shooting... but when sitting it wants to slide off the lap/tip over. Maybe others are different but mine doesn't hang from a bow hanger well (small foot brace). So, i have it on my lap. And hold it for dear life so it doesn't fall off my lap. Can't glance at my phone... can't keep my hands in a muff. Little things i didn't consider.

Also - one more vote for the trigger. Ten Point claims it was the huge upgrade for this cross bow. It is so stiff. I find i miss a hair right a lot. (1/2 inch). You can't squeeze easily. You have to pull. And the pull and break can be noticed.

I also have concerns about how complicated the engineering is on the Nitro. Not worried this year... maybe not next... 4-5 years? I worry about how much Ten Point, Raven and others are changing their base engineering. They call it innovation. I get it... but often innovation means.... can't find the parts later because they had a single season or two run on the parts.

With that in mind...i would probably lean to the Excalibur. Again...never owned one. So, probably not fair for me to conclude that... but... same engineering for years.. easy to replace strings.. decocks… sits nice in hand... simple yet very effective!

alaska86 and Cat Power like this.
  9. on a call

on a call

It might be 20 some years old...but I love my Horton Hunter.

10. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

I prefer traditional. Damn hard to find parts though. ME-0014.jpg

11. Dynrat

Dynrat Premium Member

I spent some time on Friday and almost all of my weekend traveling to different shops. Nobody really has much in stock right now so I had to visit several to get a decent variety of crossbows to try. I think I've shot 30-40 different models. So far I think I have it narrowed down to three. I like the Excalibur Micro line, a couple of the Tenpoint models, and the Ravin R10 (not necessarily in that order). I have found that nothing that I've tried is perfect. Each has some plusses and minuses. Planning to shoot a couple more today and then loop back through the contenders before I make my choice.

sureshot006 likes this.
  12. mofo

mofo

Made one of those in shop class in 1985, that’s cool

November Sunrise likes this.
  13. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Love my Scorpyd.

ErieH2O likes this.
  14. Dynrat

Dynrat Premium Member

Spent another several hours shooting different models. Included some of the value options that were mentioned in this thread to make sure I didn't miss a sleeper. Then I went back through the ones I liked best. Ended up bringing home a Ravin R10. They all definitely had plusses and minuses, nothing was perfect, but the Ravin was the one that was most comfortable for me and had the best trigger feel.

Got it home and spent about an hour in the back yard tweaking. Borrowed a chrono from a buddy and it put the crossbow at 403 fps. Adjusted the speed and dialed in the scope. Now she puts 3 bolts in a 1" group everywhere from the 20 yard all the way to the 70 yard. I don't think I'd ever shoot anything past 40 or 50, but figured I'd dial at the outside ranges to make sure it was good to go. I've heard stories of folks that do, but would never think of flinging a bolt above 70 I didn't bother past that.

I'm extremely happy and can't wait to get it out in the woods and put it to the real test.

Thank you to all who chimed in with advice, opinions, feedback, etc. I appreciate it all.

15. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

Welcome to the Ravin club!!!