Looking for crossbow recommendations

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dynrat, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

Are you going to do most of your hunting from the ground or from a tree? I know there is a lot of love for Excalibur here, and at one time I though I wanted one, but I honestly have no idea how guys hunt from up in trees with these big crossbows. I own an older Parker crossbow and completely gave up trying to hunt with it from a treestand. It was such a pain in the ass to maneuver that I went back to my compound.

Enter Ravin. I purchased an R26 this spring, and that is one badass machine! That sucker is made for us tree hunters! I haven't flung an arrow at a deer yet with it, but I am very satisfied with how it handles up in a tree.

Fissshh On! likes this.
  2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Yep. The narrow design is amazing. Dont worry near as much about the a limb hitting the tree and causing a live test of safety harness.

You will be amazed how it absolutely blasts through a deer... don't count on finding the bolt unless the ground is pretty hard.

Fissshh On! likes this.

3. Macs13

Macs13

I can only tell you what I know about, which admittedly isn't much about the different brands, but it is a little about the bow that I purchased - Ravin R10. While the price tag initially seemed crazy to me, the thing that kept bringing back to look at it was the narrow width. Also, it purports to be "as accurate as a rifle out to 100 yards," or at least that's what the salesman told me. I haven't tried for the Hail Mary shot yet, but I've ranged it out to 40 and you can repeatedly hit within a 1" circle no problem. Mine came with a really nice backpack style case, 6 bolts, and scope. Also, you don't have to shoot it to de-cock and that's a really nice feature. No more big ole target in the back of the truck.

As a plug, if you're anywhere near Jackson, check out Shupbachs. Really nice guys there and they took me upstairs to the range and helped me sight it in.

I'm up in a tree right now with it. I am 100% confident that if my deer comes into range, it's a goner. 20201011_184344.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

And you don't have to lube the string every shot else smell the burn.

Macs13 likes this.
  5. Darton makes a very fine crossbow. Michigan made, all stout components. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. honker99

honker99

Bought a Ten Point Titan M1 this year. Haven't broken it in yet (should say the 10 yr old hasn't yet). 9" axle to axle when cocked and only 32.5" length. Pretty compact as we hunt out of towers mostly when the kids hunt. Also think its going to be much nicer in a treestand for me as well. $850 at cabelas with cocking system and 3 bolts.

7. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

I've owned several crossbows, Parker (out of business) Wicked Ridge (still own) Barnett (wouldn't own another one) and Excalibur.

Excalibur is head and shoulders my preferred bow. Lightweight reliable simple and with horsepower to spare.

I've shot through the shoulder blade of large 175lb+ bucks on 2 occasions 1 with a complete passthru and one where the arrow actually clipped the offside shoulder as well with ,95% of the arrow exiting the deer.

Penetration isn't or shouldn't be a concern with any crossbow. That a misconcepton that anti crossbow hunters like to throw around..

Personally I would be looking at the Matrix G340 or an old new stock 355 Matrix or a 355/360 Matrix Bulldog. I think that these bows combine all of the qualities that a good hunting bow represents..

I shoot as my primary bow a Modified Matrix Cub that shoots a 438gr arrow right at 280 fps or a 375gr arrow right at 300fps... I like the idea of a little faster bow but just haven't come up with a good reason to spend the money right now.. This bow is lightweight, accurate, tough, and plenty powerful...

8. Fissshh On!

Fissshh On!

I had shoulder surgery and decided to buy a crossbow so I put my Mathews away, didn’t want to risk any more damage. I bought a Ravin R9 4 years ago and love it. I’ve shot 3 Bucks with it - two last year. The first buck last year I ranged at 45 yards a smoked him through both lungs and watched him drop. Here are the good points that I see: 1) the best trigger you could ask for, as good as any target rifle. That means superior accuracy. 2) One of the top scopes with range marks from 20 to 100 yards. With a good range finder in your pocket, nothing is impossible. My buddy just bought a 10 point vengeance for $2k and the scope just has 3 lines and a couple of dots, he wants to replace it after 3 weeks! 3) a compact design with a good feel, fits into your shoulder like a fine rifle. As others have said, it’s great up in a tree. 4) a built in crank, which works like a charm. I always use the crank to uncock my bow. 5) my bow came with 6 bolts, then I actually bought 3 more with lighted nocks, that’s probably the bare minimum that you’ll need to start off with.
    I’m sure all the popular crossbows will kill a deer, but how’s the trigger, the scope, does it fit you well? At least shoot a Ravin before you make your final decision. Good luck!
    70655927-11AE-4D11-B660-569985BFB81E.jpeg

Macs13 and November Sunrise like this.
  9. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

My dad is starting his 4th season with his R9. I have to gut all of his deer, so I'm well aware of its lethality! I think he is at like 12 deer with his Ravin (including 4 does in 1 sit on a December hunt a few years ago!). I was also with him on a bear hunt in Ontario where he punched a 2-blade rage through the thickest part of the shoulder on a 320lb boer.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  10. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

:lol:

Lightfoot likes this.
  11. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

You'll cross Excaliber & Ten Point off your list as soon as you shoot a Ravin.

I've shot Ten Points, Wicked Ridge, Excaliber's. I own a Parker Thunderhawk & Ravin R10.

Ravin blows them all away.

12. SVbowhunter80

SVbowhunter80

Ravin. Dad just picked one up. He had full shoulder replacement. Ravin R20. Badass crossbow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Compound crossbows need new cables and strings every other year. Factor that cost in when you purchase one plus the time it takes to get the service done. It’s a 200 mile round trip for me to get any service done. I have no regrets purchasing an Excalibur. I can all the work myself.

FullQuiver likes this.
  14. Fordguy

Fordguy

If you want a reasonably priced, very accurate crossbow and you don't feel that speed is the most important feature- take a look at the excalibur grz2. Yes, its wide, it uses matrix limbs, but- you can change the string yourself in about 2 minutes, and a new string is 30 or so. You can also make changes to your brace height by adding or eliminating twist in the string. Mine is accurate enough that i don't ever shoot at the same spot on the target whether im shooting 20 yards or 40. I've killed a bunch of deer with it, but haven't taken a shot over 25 yards while hunting. As for the negatives- the only complaint I have is the trigger. It doesn't have any creep, but its very heavy. That said, you can learn to shoot it and take advantage of the accuracy the crossbow is capable of. Pretty sure Excalibur has a lifetime warranty if you register with them when you buy. I bought mine from Dicks online- bad move. They had a sale plus a 20% off coupon that knocked the price down to 350 or so. The crossbow arrived in a big cardboard box. Completely assembled, no padding of any sort, with the stirrup punched through the box chipped and looking like it had been dragged on concrete. It was also slightly bent. Even so I decided to shoot it and see if It was functional and accurate. It was, and still is, despite obviously being mistreated before I received it.
    Prior to the excalibur grz2, I owned a barnett jackal which i used for several years. It wasn't as accurate, but I still killed a lot of deer with it. The things I didnt like were the cost of replacing the string and cables at an archery shop, (iirc it was over 100) and the cables rubbed where they passed under the rail and would inevitably fray after 50 or so shots. It was never anything serious, but it was something I kept an eye on and checked every time I shot. Both of those crossbows shoot in the range of 310 fps with the bolts and 125 grain broadheads that I use.

15. grouse25

grouse25

Another vote here for the ravin. I bought an r10 this summer to sit on the ground with my small kids. I’m very satisfied so far. The cocking device is very smooth. My 7 year old can crank it, and he also killed a doe with it opening weekend. They came down in price by about 400 dollars this spring/summer on all the models I believe. You can get an r10 package in the 1250-1300 price range. Have not shot the hundred yard reticle yet but I did back out too 60 and 70 yards and was shooting nice Groups. The reticle wasn’t right on but the groups where. My boy shot the doe at 48 yards with it. The narrowness is what grabbed my interest right off the bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app View attachment 588997
    60 yard group
    [​IMG]
    70 yard group

Both those where with no practice, first 3 arrows at each distance. Just using the 60 and 70 yard reticle.