Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Kayaking, Kayak Fishing, Canoeing, Canoe Racing' started by zzcop302, Feb 22, 2020.

1. HowlingTrout

HowlingTrout

In the family we have two Old Town fishing kayaks and a Jackson sit-on-top. The Old Towns are cheaper and good for the the neices and nephews but are essentially the same as fishing out of our sea kayaks, less some stability. The Jackson is good for most water and very comfortable, but expensive for a fishing kayak without a foot drive. Always jealous of people with a foot drive... my recommendation would be to spend the extra money for the pedals. Proficiency in a foot drive makes for a dangerous angler!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. stickman1978

stickman1978

I don't think you will ever get all you want in one kayak. That being said, my kids got me this for Fathers Day. The seat was the most important improvemnet over my Field and Stream. Eagle Talon horrible seat. Comfort was my main issue. Like the keel saver. Wish it had molded handles like my son's kayak. Mine 65lbs his I think is close to 95lbs. It is a Perception, I think in the 600 700 range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    mjh4 likes this.

3. tito

tito

I think most people would agree on the molded handles. Probly saves on the molding process to have a bolt on floppy handle. Thats one of the few things on my Ascend dont like. Worse than yours its mounted long ways with the boat.

Not a problem out of the truck to the lake usually grab the side and pick it up. Or pulling on the dolly dosnt wobble. But on a few of the ponds I go to have a short 2 or 3 portages not worth putting on the dolly with 2-3 inches of pine needles is an easy drag.

With my boats bottom wont drag flat constant side to side wobble on the straps with no way to brace it with your wrist. Good thing though can make a nice solid handle out a aluminum tube that bolts on

stickman1978 likes this.
  4. Janehal

Janehal

If you ever have to carry a kayak by two people over uneven ground, you will find the wrist breaking molded in handles useless...............all of my Oceans have the Rope Style and I love them....................I am old and running out of 2-cents...................

5. sgc

sgc

I picked up an Ocean Kayak Malibu 11.5 this past year. I got it new for around $500 (maybe $549). They usually retail I think for 649 or 699. Its not a fishing kayak per se, but its wide and very stable. I bought it in the winter; probably why the reduced price.

6. mjh4

mjh4

Feel free lure V2 11.5 is my favorite fishing kayak. Super stable to stand on, has a built in wheel in the keel, and the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in. It has a nice sonar pod that's removable as well. Bonafide also makes a good fishing kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

7. caseyj

caseyj

8. DanSS26

DanSS26 Premium Member

@zzcop302 did you get a kayak? What did you decide on? I tried getting one in June. Sold out everywhere, also noticed many places sold out of bicycles. With the shutdown, outdoor fitness stuff sold out everywhere.