LOOKING FOR A LAKE TO FISH

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland UP Lakes' started by lenray, May 8, 2020.

1. johnIV

johnIV

I have a camp up there. North of Trenary. Not super experienced in every area up there but did get into the Craig lake area. Big island wilderness area also. Been on some remote lakes up there. Won't find anything like it below the bridge

U of M Fan and lenray like this.
  2. shametamer

shametamer

greenwood reservoir ..for its size..around 1300 acres is a no wake lake and quite serviceable by canoe..i would suggest parent lake.. right off m-28,no homes, but i believe about perch and walleye are all that roam there.....you might also try betsy lake..up by paradise mi...put in at shelldrake dam(defunct state forest campground, but launch pad still exists) follow it all the way back to betsy..i never could, my boats always drafted too much as the river gets quite shallow as you leave shelldrake and head to betsy...you might also consider peavy pond..1 maybe 2 homes on its 3500 acres..two/three really rough mich-wisc elec camp areas(no potable water, no fire ring.more just clearings and an outhouse)and launches at all..heading north out of the pond and toward way dam.there are no homes most of the way back to road 69......there also was a number of virgin lakes west of lake independence along the superior shore..used to be part of the huron mountain club...i dont know the current status of those lakes or the club
    and many state forest campgrounds exist on bodies that hAVE FEW TO NO HOMES...,blind sucker,petes, genes pond..to name a few and several access site areas may fill the bill. bone, nawakwa etc.....................i'm right behind you in age and still find new things each year in the u.p.and i have been fishing her since 1963

3. shametamer

shametamer

good thing you are used to ontario..as in the backwoods of the yooper..you run into skeeters the size of crows and black flies as mean as the coons(a real menace fishing open stretches of trout streams..lol)......the occasional wolf,coyote and bear as well and i have heard sightings of cougars

U of M Fan and lenray like this.
  4. lenray

lenray

Thank you shametamer for the info. I tried that bluegill guy and his link, but didn't have any luck getting ahold of him--thinking it might be older info. Also enjoyed you pic of the bear and da chick--made me laugh--thank you --don't laugh enough any more with my wife gone...........

5. lenray

lenray

6. shametamer

shametamer

sorry for the loss of your wife.. ..in this corona age nice to have a companion as you can't invite friends to go fishing with you..hopefully this ends soon

p.s. dont expect to finds specks(brookies) in the size or amount we are used to in ontario...i dearly miss that..

7. shametamer

shametamer

8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

PM sent. Don't give up my spot!!!

9. waldowillie

waldowillie

Craig Lake State Park

10. Fishndude

Fishndude

Here is a link to the MI DNR website, for inland lake maps - of the entire State. Just copy it, and paste it into a browser. Then click on a County. Then click on the various lakes for that County, and decide which you want to try first. And second. And after that.....
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79146_81198_85509---,00.html

Then move on to other Counties.....:evilsmile

Crestliner 16 likes this.