Longest shots...

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by racerhutch36m, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Waif

Waif

Never rest your barrel on them.... Just the stock.
    My last several deer have been shot off a Primos monopod triggerstick.. It takes attention to keep it just right. But with practice worked and continues to work , for me anyways.
    I might upgrade to more legs , but my introduction to the single went real well with a borrowed one years ago.

Cross sticks can be built on the cheap. Not as nimble for my set up. But more sturdy maybe.

2. twiliter

twiliter

Racer if your serious about longer ranges I would suggest a scope that has a bullet drop compensation turret. This allows you to range the target then adjust the scope turret that has been calibrated to your specific bullet type and weight to the ranged distance. No guesswork range, dial distance, adjust for wind and shoot. I like Leupold CDS scopes with a Wind Plex reticles.

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Most of my deer are bow kills but my longest with gun is about 75 yds but they usually are 50yds and under .

4. unclecbass

unclecbass

My longest kill shot was 260 yards with a 300 weatherby mag. The longest kill shot I personally witnessed was 450 yards by my old man with his 300 win mag. I thought he missed based in the bucks reaction, damn thing piled up 50
    Yards from the spot of the shot. I will never live down doubting him. 200 yards with a 270 is a good shot. Practice and you will become really confident at that range with that caliber

5. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

With my 270 I have my 100 yard zeroed and at 200 yards it is about 3 inches low. At 3 inches just aim for the center of the deer and you are good out to 200 yards. No need for a BDC or CDS for the range you are shooting.

I used to have access to a 500 yard range and spent a good amount of time shooting. I have not shot past 200 yards since 2016 and wouldn't dream of attempting it on a deer today without practice. 200 is easily doable if you have a good rest and can shoot good tight groups at 100

Longest Muzzleloader shot was 250 yards and longest rifle(300WM) was 400. In 2012 I started exclusively hunting the limited zone and haven't shot beyond 40 yards.

6. retired dundo

retired dundo

Bought my hr d12gause shotgun in 1999 shot four deers in field from 160to170yards none went more than 20yards.Love that gun can honesty say never missed a deer with it and furthest one went was 50yards.I would not shoot any further I have markers in field around my blind

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  7. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Here in MI, 415 yrds with my 243 Win model 70. I killed a Mule Deer a year ago out in WY at 345 according to my sons Vortex 1200 rangefinder and never felt any better about a shot..( BTW did this with a 270 win Savage 110. It's a tack driver) I practice a lot out to 400 yards like 2-3 hundred rounds per rifle I own per year. So a thousand rounds a year give or take.. I always carry sticks or have a bipod on my rifles..

I did finish off a wounded antelope in WY at a ridiculous range once but it took an entire magazine to find the range +1 to make the hit.. If it wasn't about to go onto a neighboring ranch I would never have taken those shots.. It was more luck than any kind of skill. My friend who had initially wounded it thought I was wasting my time.. His jaw dropped further than that antelope did when I hit her.. Frankly so did mine..

8. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Just over 500 on caribou in CA. Nosler partition

268 and 178 with Ultimate muzzleloader on white tails in IL and last year in OH.
    Barnes bullets

Several 200-300 out west on deer with 7mm REM mag. Nosler partition

Most shots were lasered so I know they’re accurate.

9. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

To the OP the best thing you can do is buy 22 or 223 bolt gun and practice and then practice some more. 200 yards should be a chip shot with any centerfire rifle..

Trigger control, breathing, and holding steady are learned traits but it takes time and lots of ammo.. Plus a good coach wouldn't hurt.. Try squirrel hunting with a 22 rifle. It's a lost art but makes great riflemen, no semi auto 22s either. Keep your shots deliberate a squirrels head is a small target. However if you can consistently hit a squirrels head at 50 yards a deers vitals suddenly looks like a barnside at 200..

10. Stubee

Stubee

Find a range where you can group your deer rifle at 100, 200, 300 yards or more. Get confident with your gun and see what it can do in your hands, with your loads, and then recognize the difference between sandbags and how you shoot in the field. Then shoot some more. Get a .22 that mimics your deer rifle in feel and practice a lot with that from all possible positions. Shoot some more. Walk rapidly down a woods trail to get your heart rate up then shoot. Go where you can rapidly cycle your rifle—for me a bolt action—and see how fast you can get on target with a high confidence hit. For me that is a 100% confidence shot.

That’s what I do. I’m totally confident in making a shot that “feels good” with my deer rifle and if it doesn’t feel good I won’t pull the trigger no matter the range. My longest shots have been whitetail about 180 yards and caribou 240 measured yards.

Doghouse 5, Brian W. and fanrwing like this.
  11. Brian W.

Brian W.

Hunting the lower restricted zone, I've done 200 with a 50 cal TC encore on a doe. 187yrds on an 8 pt. buck with an 870 shooting reduced recoil Win.12ga 2 3/4 in sabots.
    270 win. is fully capable at 200yrds. +
    But only shoot range you have practiced.
    Last season I took a doe at 190 with a CVA 450 bushmaster. Shooting Hornady black.
    She was standing in an open field. Ground was covered in snow. Double lung shot.
    She ran in a big circle covering about 150yrds. I watched her drop.
    I followed her tracks to see what the blood trail looked like. I was not impressed.
    If this deer would have made it into heavy cover without snow, it could have been a tough recovery.
    Each situation adds variables.
    All things should be considered when making longer shots.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Doghouse 5 likes this.
  12. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

Practice....

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

steelers fan, Brian W. and FullQuiver like this.
  13. fishx65

fishx65

When it comes to whitetail hunting I'm much more impressed with shots under 10 yds then I am with shots over 200yds. Doesn't matter if it's gone or bow, getting ridiculously close to mature deer consistently takes some serious skills.

14. CDN1

CDN1

Standing deer, broadside, from a rest. .270 I'd take a 300yrd crack and expect to make the kill. The first 3 things are key ingredients. My longest shot has been 127yrds mossy 500 hornady SST slug from a big rock as a rest. 2 bounds and down for the count small 6 pt. The majority of my kills have been inside 100 yrds just due to where the deer live. Here in the east I'd guess the Marjority of deer are shot inside 100yrds.

15. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Long range shooting is something that I really love doing. My wife and I plan on doing a bunch this next summer. It is easy to read a ballistics chart and see that a 270 should be easily efficient at up to 300yds. It is a whole different thing to actually shoot it and be accurate and consistent.

I have shot a doe at over 300 with my 30.06 in a field on crop damage permits. I shot once before the kill shot and then adjusted. I bought a range finder after that. That to me is the key, KNOWING the distance and then referring to your practice for your aiming point.

I bought a BDC scope for my wife 270, it shoots flatter than my .06 and I look forward to getting better with it. For now, she isn't really into figuring out what each mark is until she practices with it, which I am totally ok with. For now, anything 200yds and under she holds steady on the front shoulder and touches off. Knowing what the round you are using is going to do it this ticket. We have 5 different rounds we use in her 270 and 3 different rounds I use in my .06 for different hunting situations. I generally run 180gr and keep it under 100yds in mine and 150gr and under 100yds in hers. We have some 130gr ballistic tips for hers that sail real nice for a few hundred yards. I have some 220gr that I use for some places I hunt with my .06

If you want a real eye opener, get a few different grain bullets and fire them at the same target, it is pretty crazy to see the difference that 30grains makes.